Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne TAS600 Traffic Advisory System

Fom here

Peter wrote:

BTW, wigglyamp, it wasn’t 60ft of cable and the way I know it wasn’t 60ft is because they were going to use a cheap cable so I had to buy some RG400 and free issue it to them

A bit off topic. However, the TAS manual requires the cables to be 3dB loss @ 1GHz (section 2.24 of the install manual). So how long are your cables? RG400 is 14.7dB/100 feet, and you can allow a bit for the connectors of course

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

The TAS6xx IM I have says 3db +/-0.5db so you could aim for 2.5db. The connectors are specced at 0.2db each (which is probably optimistic in reality) so that means the cable needs to lose 2.1db. That comes to slightly over 13ft per cable.

The cables might be that length. However I bet that installer worked on “3db max” and the result is a coiled up length on the longer pair.

The system is working fine except that I get a very late warning on head-on traffic, which seems certain to be due to the location of the upper antenna which is shielded by the roof

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So my statement about 60 feet isn’t very far off. That’s another 2.5 lbs plus connectors that wasn’t on your W&B change. It’s just another of the accumulations which eventually lead to a decision to re-weigh after multiple modifications.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

That is just 0.1% of the MTOW.

What is curious to me (as an electronics design engineer) is why have a minimum attenuation figure specified. It indicates a design which is really marginal in some way. The efficiency of an antenna will depend a lot on its ground plane and this may be why the performance of these TAS boxes is so variable from one installation to the next.

Administrator

Anyone getting poor sensitivity on their TAS6xx at 12 o’clock?

I am considering swapping the GPS/NAV1 and the TAS605 antennae on the roof, at the next Annual.

The idea is to move the TAS one in front of the curve of the roof.

Can anyone see a problem generated elsewhere?

Administrator

To answer the original question.
With my TAS605 I do pick up targets in all azimuth +/- 9.000 ft. or so, up to 15~20nm distance.

In areas when I am above sea at 1.000~8.000 ft I may get the occasional double close-by symbols for same target but very soon (within seconds) the system correlates them and identifies them as the one target.
That is an expected behavior explained in the documentation.

This is where my antennae are

LGMG Megara, Greece

That’s interesting; thanks Kyp.

Your antennae are where mine are.

The only differences I see are

• your roof is the flatter sheet-metal one (mine is a more curved composite one with a metal layer inside)
  • your upper antenna has a normal VHF antenna in front of it (mine is a thick GPS+VHF one)

Mine picks up stuff up to 15nm (usually only bizjets and airliners though, GA at maybe 5-10nm) but not at 12 o’clock.

Administrator

Our aerial installation on the Grob Tutor. It works fine with straight ahead targets.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Balliol wrote:

Our aerial installation on the Grob Tutor. It works fine with straight ahead targets.

Do you have TAS LOWER AERIAL or only the UPPER one?

Last Edited by petakas at 11 Dec 08:47
LGMG Megara, Greece

Sorry additional photo shows lower TAS aerial

Now retired from forums best wishes
Sign in to add your message