Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Aspen Installation

New panel just about complete. The only outstanding item is the AirGizmo panel-mount for the GPS 695 which we discovered too late obstructs the door handle.

Changes: Aspen Evolution 1000 Pro replaces AI and HSI, Aspen Synthetic Vision and Hazard Awareness enabled, APS4A Altitude Pre-Select installed, new annunciators, tip tank switches and annunciators moved to centre panel, 121.5 ELT replaced with Artex 406 MHz ELT, ADF indicator removed (displays on Aspen), all instruments back-lit with ring-lights, transponder ident switch installed on yoke, traffic acknowledge switch installed on yoke, co-pilot PTT moved to right yoke, undercarriage light repeaters installed (above standby altimeter), JPI EDM-701 upgraded with USB data port, six USB sockets installed, Hoskins fuel flow removed (FF displayed on JPI and repeated on GTN 750), ADF dropped to bottom of stack, radio/cassette player removed, spare comm antenna wired up to BNC in panel for emergency use.

And the before shot:

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

You have a whole load of gear in there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice! (Although I have to admit I always liked those fake wood elements on these 1980-vintage Bonanzas…).

Personally, I would have sprung for a decent engine monitor (and maybe saved the transponder ident button on the yoke.. )

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very smart! Can I ask if you still have your King HSI and want to sell it?

I was planning to install a JPI 730 but it wouldn’t fit. And although the 701 is 16 years old, newer engine monitors don’t have any new features apart from the fancy screens.

There wasn’t much of the fake wood left so I decided to get rid of it. I think the new panel looks really smart (but I would say that!).

Yes, the HSI is available! It’s a reconditioned one that went in early last year with the GTN 750 because my original one was too old to work with the 750.

Last Edited by chrisparker at 18 Mar 08:30
Spending too long online

Nice panel, well thought out.
I use my yoke ident button once per flight, usually at a busy time, I think it’s worth it. Good idea on the traffic ack. I was wondering about installing a frequency switch button too, as I’d rather keep my hands on the yoke on departure when I go from tower to approach.

EGTF, LFTF

How does one get behind the panel in a Bonanza?

Does the panel (or a section of it) unscrew and tilt away, or is there access to the back?

I can see some screws but they are painted over and don’t appear to be the means of getting behind the panel.

If I was installing an Aspen, I would run a hose from the avionics fan to the back of it. The part housing the AHRS is so hot it cannot be touched, and that’s at room temperature while sitting openly on a bench.

The radio swap switch is a great idea. I wonder if the King KX radios support that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The glareshield comes off easily for access to the rear of the instruments.

I wonder if I’ve got room on the yoke for a frequency swap button? At the moment, the left stalk has PTT, AP Disconnect, Go-Around and Trim, and the right stalk has Traffic Ack, Tx Ident and Control Wheel Steering.

All the stuff that’s been removed has a green “Serviceable” tag. For £60-80 they can do a full inspection and issue an EASA Form 1 "Authorised Release Certificate” and an FAA Form 8130 “Airworthiness Approval Tag”.

From the avionics team: “The HSI part number is 066-3046-07 and overhauled exchange price out of the USA is $2950.”

Make me an offer!

Spending too long online

what are go around and traffic ack buttons for ? just curious, as i know all the others

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Go Around button gives you go around pitch indication on the flight director.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 18 Mar 12:19
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message