Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My new panel

I am quite sure you are also aware that not all readers will know the difference between these alloys.

I think you’re underestimating the readers here. Sure, not everyone will know these alloys properties by heart, but they’re not (no longer?) a guild secret and google turns up quite a bit of information.

Aircraft grade aluminium clearly exists because it is mandatory for LED flashlights

I wonder whether that still works with the general public. Because readers here (not least because of your many documented cases) will know that aircraft grade usually means 10 times the price and likely worse quality than commercial grade

LSZK, Switzerland

Jesse,

Can you PM me your contact details? I tried to contact you a while back regarding an upgrade we’re considering, but never heard back. Seems like you’re still in business though

Cheers
Michael

EGTR

I think you’re underestimating the readers here.

That is not my intention, you might be right though. I only know the most common alloys, although we had to learn a whole list of them at school.
On this kind of modifications the material choice is often depending on what the orginal manufacturer has used.

@mmgreve, PM send, the PM system didn’t always work correct in the past, it should work fine now thanks to the work of Peter and David as I understand.

Last Edited by Jesse at 20 Apr 16:38
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Fletio,

Out of curiosity, did you at any point consider the G500 as an alternative? With the Aspen 2000 and a new panel anyway, I would imagine it is the same ballpark cost wise?

EGTR

Thanks Jessie, I am looking to use 2024 as a place to start, I don’t see cutting through the alclad as a corrosion issue on a painted panel that is going to live inside the aircraft.

I may consider other types of high grade aircraft aluminium for the panel, also I may make a cheap kitchen grade panel to make sure that I have got it correct before I start cutting aircraft grade metal, the panel is a lot larger than the one’s in the aircraft above and so one slip in the CAD could be expensive !

Fletio,
Out of curiosity, did you at any point consider the G500 as an alternative? With the Aspen 2000 and a new panel anyway, I would imagine it is the same ballpark cost wise?

The G500 was certainly one of my first considerations. But as I understand Garmin didnot STC it for Europe. For the TB20 the STC is owned by Socata. I took Socata a very long time to come up with a quote, which then turned out to be more expensive too.
To really compare the two systems you have to put the G500 against the Aspen2000. And I certainly wanted an MFD right in front of me, not having to “refocus” all the time.

EHLE Lelystad

I know a TB20 (PH-AFT), that has a G500 installed, by ASP avionics in Genk (B)
With a G500 in the LH instrument panel , your JPI woundn’t have fit in that panel.

Socata sell a design package for the G500. It is described here

They quoted me €48k for installing it, including a GNS430W, a few years ago (v. expensive).

But I don’t think Socata are the only people who have an EASA STC for the G500.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I may make a cheap kitchen grade panel to make sure that I have got it correct before I start cutting aircraft grade metal,

That is a good idea. I have made the LH panel on the photo’s about three times before I was happy with the results.

With the Aspen 2000 and a new panel anyway, I would imagine it is the same ballpark cost wise?

The Socata STC is quite expensive (about 10K), and a custom STC is around the same number expensive making the G500 much more expensive compared to the Aspen EFD2000. As the Aspen has less box, installation requires less work compared to the G500. Socata indicates about 400 hours for the installation of their modification which much be with 2x GNS or 2×GTN and GTS-820.
Aspen come with a free AML STC.

With a G500 in the LH instrument panel , your JPI woundn’t have fit in that panel.

It was quite a struggle to get everything in this panel. It has worked out though.

But I don’t think Socata are the only people who have an EASA STC for the G500

Customs STCs are always very expensive, therefore a free AML STC for this kind of installations is almost a must. Garmin has received an EASA G500 AML STC and announced this at Aero. This will bring pricing of the G500 and EFD2000 closer.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I know a TB20 (PH-AFT), that has a G500 installed, by ASP avionics in Genk (B)

Indeed. I know the AFT and the owners. But this is how it went.
And indeed, I liked the idea to have everything one often uses on the left hand panel.
That is including the EDM and the altitude preselect.
There is one flaw still…
The JPI advertises that the EDM is now capable to give a sign on fuel used instead of a time switch.
Still haven’t found out, in spite of the guidelines on the website.
No reaction from JPI on emails.
Anyone on this forum?

EHLE Lelystad
Sign in to add your message