Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting line-level audio from an unused headset socket

I get the feeling is that to feed a line level signal to the 3.5mm hands free kit jack socket, one merely needs to

• use the correct pins for the 2 channels and the ground
  • attenuate the signal sufficiently

Capacitors should not make a difference if the source is AC coupled but it’s a good point – you might otherwise end up shorting the mike power, although that should be going in through a resistor anyway.

Looking at the PA80i that’s all it can be…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it works with that kind of setup, although it only has a mic input. (Well, at least it is called a mic input.)

The cable I use (a Pilot Communications PA80i) could have series capacitors which might make a difference.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have now tested my adaptor and it works great. It is much better that sticking a small microphone up the headset because all sound which doesn’t break the squelch on the radio(s) is totally suppressed, so you get proper silent silences, with zero engine noise. Only when the squelch is broken do you hear engine noise, which is then dependent on how good the noise compensating headset mikes are.

It’s clear – for the devices I record with – that the potentiometer is needed because at least one of them doesn’t have enough leeway in its level control to accept the an-attenuated signal.

This is a quick and dirty video I did yesterday

There are devices which don’t have a variable attenuator so the pot is really needed. For example my Pentax K3 DSLR, under its external record menu, has a “volume control” adjustment but it doesn’t seem to do anything to the record level, and just to make it more interesting it clips horribly even for a sound level which doesn’t reach anywhere near the peak on its level meter…

What will be interesting is whether the Samsung S6 phone (which I am looking at getting) will work with it. I am very sure it won’t because it has a mike input only, not a line input. It may mean that the only way will be to cut the speakers off the hands-free kit and glue the mike switch in the ON position – that is what I did on the Nokia 808.

Administrator

Your audio sounds superb – I think I’d go as far as saying it’s the best I’ve ever heard.

Great! I won’t change a thing!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I was surprised that the voltage coming out of the headset socket is probably not far off a line level (770mV rms across 600 ohms) which is why just a simple cable works OK.

If a camera has only a mike input, that’s going to be completely different especially if it is the “plug in power” electret mike sort of thing, which historically most camcorders had (all the Sony ones I had, for sure). Much more sensitive than line level. Plus you get the 4-pole jack plugs, etc.

Administrator

And once it’s buggered, it cannot be recovered…

Chris, most cameras expect a microphone to be connected not a line level source. Your cable only works with your recorder because you were able to set it to expect a line-level input.

If you connect a line level source to a microphone input without attenuating it, it will sound awful (and look like Peter’s second screenshot above).

Your audio sounds superb – I think I’d go as far as saying it’s the best I’ve ever heard.

Last Edited by stevelup at 21 May 11:23

If it sounds good then it’s good

You can see clipping in the sound track when you import the audio into your video editor.

This is non-clipped (except very brief spikes, which nobody will hear anyway)

This is well buggered and will sound horrible

It’s a bit like overexposing (washing out) parts of an image. Once the data is gone you will never get it back.

Administrator

Cameras are probably more sensitive than a voice recorder so my cable is probably good enough?

Spending too long online

I think just

• the ability to vary the signal level, in case the camera clips above a certain level
  • combining both channels into a single mono channel (in case the sound appears only on one channel?)

I think just a cable will do the job for most people, I had no idea what sort of signal level is going to come out of those sockets, and with a camcorder which has a manual level control I don’t know what levels it can accept. And if you feed in too much, it will clip it and the whole sound track will be ruined. AGC is no good because it just winds up the gain during the periods where nobody is talking.

I should have experimented with turning the pot all the way up (i.e. simulating just your simple cable, Chris) and seeing how the manual level adjustment on the camera handles that, but I ran out of time.

Administrator

Peter,

What are the advantages of your cable vs a simple plug and 3.5 mm <=>3.5 mm (that I use)?

Spending too long online
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message