Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rubber (tyre) suggestions

Here is a US AOPA article on the topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there any regulation prohibiting using different types of tyres on the main wheels?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Regardless of regulation, if the tyre on the right had different friction from the one on the left, braking would be assymetrical.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

For a typical fixed gear SEP landing on all but the softest ground, Goodyear or Michelin 8.50×6 tyres work fine.

BTW, if anyone has any “worn out” 8.50×6s begging for a new home, please let me know. For off-airport use we obviously have to shave the tread off anyway. It’s a messy job, so I’m happy for someone else to wear away the central part of the tread, just as long as there are no deep cuts.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Regardless of regulation, if the tyre on the right had different friction from the one on the left, braking would be assymetrical.

Speaking as one of many who has experienced engine failures on the runway in training on multi engined aircraft, and also asymmetric thrust reverser deployment on a Citation in real life, I am fairly certain that the difference in friction between tyre brands is unlikely to result in a major control problem! Having said that I’d keep to the same brand on the mains.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Any idea where to source Desser tires in Europe ?

Watts Aviation, Gloucestershire, UK
The website is a bit odd and not so useful. You need to call/email if you want to enquire/buy. Else great service.
https://wattsaviation.co.uk/

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message