Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many here are radiating ADS-B, and how many can see *GA* ADS-B emitting aircraft?

I got a question from another pilot the other day, wanting to connect a GPS to an ADS-B capable transponder.

My Avidyne TAS605 box is “ADS-B upgradeable” i.e. it should accept, via a suitable receiver, ADS-B data and merge it with the targets it obtains already (which it gets by pinging Mode C transponders). But “upgradeable” in Avidyne-speak is an interesting concept…

A lot of people are looking at radiating ADS-B but who will be able to see it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Still waiting for the TRIG S-transponder to arrive, the TRX 1500 is here already. I will try to get this going in the next few weeks. And of course I will want to have ADS-B out as well for traffic avoidance, Flarm is in the TRX contained. I do hope that a lot more aircraft get equipped as I believe the ADS-B might help a lot for traffic alerts on my moving map. Compared to these costs I still don´t get it how guys can spend fortunes on glass sh*** in the cockpit for what use in reality ? ATC will see you anyway with ADS-B so there is hope FIS may have an easier life in places where you don´t get traffic from ground stations emissions. Waiting and hoping … Vic
vic
EDME

ATC will see you anyway with ADS-B

Are you sure about that?

I am fairly sure UK ATC has no ADS-B visibility. They can see

• primary return
  • Mode C SSR return (pressure altitude)
  • Mode S SSR return (only a few ATC units in the UK have this) (the aircraft parameters that get radiated in Elementary and Enhanced Mode S e.g. for bigger aircraft they get the preset altitude which is how they got the Germanwings info so fast)
Administrator
I´d guess when flight radar24.com can see you anywhere so ATC should be able as well, supposing data coming from ground stations as well.
Last Edited by vic at 26 May 15:46
vic
EDME

They could, and indeed I know of an airfield not far from here where the people in the tower use the £200 ADS-B receiver for situational awareness “only”, but I don’t think ATC can use that data for anything operational.

I also don’t think the Eurocontrol tracking data stream is generated from ADS-B.

It begs the question of what exactly airliner ADS-B emissions are used for…

Administrator

I also don’t think the Eurocontrol tracking data stream is generated from ADS-B.

Correct. It’s coming from Radar position updates supplied by ANSP

LSZK, Switzerland

As far as I am informed an installation of a Extended squiter (ADS-B) transponder with ADS-B output, conform the rules, is an major change.
Meaning for a EU-reg aircraft it need to be installed using an easa approved STC.

I do (did but will again) both.

EGTK Oxford

It begs the question of what exactly airliner ADS-B emissions are used for…

TCAS uses ADS-B emissions already.

ATC ground stations and aircraft equipped with traffic collision avoidance system (TCAS) already have the necessary 1090 MHz (Mode S) receivers to receive these signals, and would only require enhancements to accept and process the additional extended squitter information.

(ex WiKi)

EDxx, Germany

It can use, but does not yet.

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message