Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engineer advises pilot that GAMIs increase CHTs

Amazing but apparently this is what has recently happened.

A total lack of understanding of how an engine works.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Taken out of context maybe? Presumably GAMIs give better fuel / air mixture to all cylinders....ie a reduced spread in CHTs.....but because the engine is now producing more power, I guess there I more heat...?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Engineer advises pilot that GAMIs increase CHTs

There are 100 million engineers on this planet and one makes bullshit claims? Hardly worth a mention or is there a dimension to this that I'm missing?

Could you post a link so we can see the 'evidence' behind this post?

EuropaBoy
EGBW

maybe the same guy who hardwired the mixture level to full rich in a plane I saw. Yep, drilled a hole and put a safety wire so it could not be used.

Mankind has limits wherever they venture, only stupidity is without borders.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

maybe the same guy who hardwired the mixture level to full rich in a plane I saw. Yep, drilled a hole and put a safety wire so it could not be used.>

Must have been an interesting shutdown procedure....presumably by grounding the magnetos with the engine kicking on coughing and spluttering to a halt....or maybe switching the fuel off and waiting a few minutes!

I see the original thread on PPLIR.....I think Jason has probably got it right:

...> Sounds to me like he is confusing the company's advocacy for LOP operation with the injectors themselves.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Yes; I didn't want to say that because PPLIR's terms and conditions prohibit taking stuff outside their forum

It is a manifestation of a much wider problem we have in GA, where nearly all people who are involved in aircraft maintenance are not pilots and know next to nothing about flying.

Once, straight out of the Annual service, my elevator trim froze solid at top of climb (-14C). Immediately before the Annual, I did an hour or two across the Alps at -29C and it was fine. They denied putting anything (obviously a dodgy "lubricant") in there... they also refused to do the first post-service flight with me.

The problem is that your average new PPL holder is probably relying on that kind of advice. I know I was, pre-internet. That is why I think a good "technical" discussion site is worth so much.

Must have been an interesting shutdown procedure

Indeed... really stupid and dangerous because you leave the fuel distribution spider full of fuel, so if somebody turns the prop and the mags are ON (or the grounding wire has come off the back of the switch) the engine will start.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They shut it down by closing the fuel valve IIRR.

This got stopped, pronto, but it's one example how stupid people can be.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Excuse my stupidity: what's a GAMI?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

GAMI is the name of a US company that makes matched injector sets that allow typical fuel injected aviation engines to smoothly run with a mixture set to lean of peak exhaust gas temperatures. Injectors from them are called GAMIs.

GAMI are also strong advocates of the benefits of operating aviation engines lean of peak (and IMHO have plenty of science, test bed, and practical experience backing up their position)

EGTF
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message