Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kanardia EFIS and others

From Slovenia, affordable yet not cheapo – looks good.
I have no interest or experience with the company but thought it worth mentioning.
Not, at first sight, for certified aircraft, though.

http://www.kanardia.eu

Last Edited by at 10 Jun 21:40
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Here is a portable EFIS which seems at an attractive price point. I have an old Garmin 196 in the no gyro Cub, but my concern with these gizmos is you allow creep in what you regard is ok for VFR.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The Aero Friedrichshafen show used to be full of these. I suspect a lot of people had a go, since it is quite easy to knock one up with an off the shelf AHRS module and a colour LCD, and then you exhibit it for the homebuilt/UL markets and see if there is any interest… Last time though I saw mostly just the big players, like Dynon above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

https://aerovonics.com/av-30

I have to say I like the look of this be a great Vacuum replacement.

Uncertified:

Administrator

Yes. There is always the for ever vapourware worry.

This looks great but as said above at the moment it’s vapourware, at the moment the Garmin G5 is the only game in town and I would not be surprised to see a mini arc function software upgrade.

The AV30 at least looks like it might be the same front size as the existing

The market has been ripe, at the right time in the past, for specific slide-in replacements. The KI256, costing around $10k depending on the version, has been the most obvious one, but nobody (not even Honeywell themselves) have managed to bring out a certified one that actually exists. But these windows of opportunity are closing as e.g. Garmin (G5) eat bits around the edges, people refit their planes, scrap the planes, etc. It’s a dynamic scene and you have to get a product out there at the right moment.

Administrator

One problem with these things is that they don’t follow the strong trends. A concrete example is Skydemon (or one of the other apps to be installed on pads/phones). Nothing comes close to the versatility of a moving map app, and “everybody” got one regardless of other equipment installed. Skydemon has become some sort of standard all by itself. You have to remember that Skydemon is much more than a moving map app. It’s online weather, it’s online NOTAM, online FP, online navigation, online everything because it is installed on a phone/pad.

Looking at flying from A to B, dividing that task into subtasks from the first planning to after landing, then Skydemon + other phone/pad apps will do 90% of the work. The only thing you need in the plane is the very basic instruments that “always” have been there in aviation.

We have all these gadgets, all these EFIS’es and whatever, but they are essentially redundant when looking into it. Artificial horizon is nice and useful, but why on earth do you clutter it with all those numbers and letters on it? You also want it to be large, covering most of the panel in fact, so it’s no longer an “instrument” you are looking at, but an extension of the outside horizon (when you need it).

A lot of these things are nice solutions to problems that doesn’t really exist. You install a nice EFIS and EMS (simple and cost effective), leave some space for a pad, and are done with it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You don’t have an AHRS in Skydemon… so your point is a bit off.

FWIW I’ll go electric the minute my gyro fails.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message