Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN89B updating cable

Does anyone know where I can buy an off-the-shelf cable to fit between my laptop and KLN89B GPS? I have a database update to do; previously I was buying new cards but these are now cost prohibitive in comparison to the website download. I'm in the UK.

The cable is detailed in the KLN89B installation manual which can be found with google at a few places like here. See pages 2-57 or 2-59 there.

I suspect the oddball plug may be the same as the KFC225 plug which is detailed here (search for "plug") but the actual connector in your aircraft may be something else. A DB9 is commonly installed too and they are about 10p...

I also have a huge avionics manuals collection so if anybody needs anything, let me know

Another approach may be to get a PC writer for the card(s). I have this and the same or similar may be usable. I have never done the download option, as it needs a laptop to be run with an internet connection in the aircraft, and the Honeywell website is hugely bloated... But a PC writer needs one to have at least 2 cards, so one can swap it right there in the aircraft. Honeywell sell the cards for about $200 but you can find them on Ebay (US avionics Ebay e.g. here).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That Lonestar site is a great find.

This is quite funny. A TSOd USB connector for charging things.

Administrator

it's a real bargain for USD 750.- but TSOed :-)

EDxx, Germany

That's a great help thanks chaps. I assume this cable attaches to the back of the KLN89B as I can't find a data port for a jack plug on my instrument panel. Will I need additional equipment to power the KLN89B if I attempt to update it using this cable in the office?

Normally the connector is underneath the panel.

Will I need additional equipment to power the KLN89B if I attempt to update it using this cable in the office?

There is a bench rig you can plug it into, but it isn't cheap and IMHO it's not a good idea to keep pulling the GPS out of the panel, given the method of fixing.

Administrator

Velar, in my aircraft (TB20) I got a KLN90B which has a data socket on the r/h panel. Last year I bought a used cable from someone who upgraded his avionics.

So now I download the new database via the Bendix-King internet site onto my laptop and take it to the hangar to update the GPS. My cable is different from the one Lonestar offers for the 90B. It has a 9 pole female on one side (where I put an USB adapter on) for the laptop and the round jack, like for headsets but a bit smaller to plug into the aircraft socket.

The cable Lonestar offers for the KLN90B is for their docking station Commander 2000K - so you could do the update at home, but you have to take the GPS home with you (+ buy the docking station for 270USD plus freight). I think its the same with the 89B cable. The 89B must be powered for the update. So maybe the best solution is to ask your avionics shop to install a socket in the aircraft and to buy the appropriate cable from Bendix/King. regards

EDxx, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message