Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELA1 / ELA2 maintenance (merged)

For all ELA1 airplane it is in AMC M.A.302(i).
For the super official version you’d need to find ED decision 2015/029/R on the EU Official journal website.
The “Easy (sic) Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness” PDF is more practical. See page 60 onwards.

Local copy

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

The UK CAA published this yesterday which may be helpful in understanding what’s required:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1454_SDMPforELA1aircraft_E3.pdf

CAP1454 local copy

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

That’s a nice clear document; thanks for posting that.

How did this happen? It’s a case of a maintenance company refusing to operate an SDMP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How did this happen? It’s a case of a maintenance company refusing to operate an SDMP.

Neither a maintenance company nor a CAMO are allowed to refuse an SDMP as such. But nothing forces them to keep on a customer with a SDMP.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Nothing forces them to handle such a customer, so the situation is like you approaching a barrister who doesn’t want to work for you. He also “cannot” refuse the assignment But he can be awfully busy…

The industry will always find ways to not work with customers they perceive as awkward, and some % of them genuinely are thus.

Administrator

aart wrote:

You say ‘approved’. By whom? AFAIK it’s all ‘owner declared’, correct?

@aart, didn’t see your question immediately. And yes …
this AMP was approved by the German CAA (called LBA) in April 2019, on an ELA2 Mooney. Because part-ML not in place at the time, approval was needed and requested, and obtained. Hope this helps.

AJ
Germany

does anyone know what is the latest status with Germany LBA and Part-ML? There is nothing published on their website.
Can we ELA1 owners in Germany now finally stop paying CAMO for ARC renewal?

Two things I really look forward to:.
i. be able to work for a freelance mechanic who welcomes owner assisted maintenence and who can sign off airworthiness
ii. stop paying a camo company every year 400 euros to issue me an ARC.

I’ve had enough of Part 145 shops screwing me over.

Switzerland

No ELA1 owner needs a CAMO for a German reg.
No ELA2 owner needs a CAMO for a German reg.
Both were true prior to the latest regulation.
Why do you think you need a CAMO ?

The annual can be issued by a Part145.
Other work by a Part66.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 05 Jan 18:31
EDM_, Germany

I think he means that a Part 66 can issue the ARC from March assuming the national authority grant the privelige to any of them.
Also many places wouldn’t issue ARCs unless you got your mx done there, meaning you’re tied in to the whole system.

EIMH, Ireland

Yes, exactly. Many posts on this topic. Unless you can find a freelance EASA66, you have to use a company for the actual work, and they will generally insist on X Y and Z and you cannot do anything about it. The “industry” has got you cornered and the only way out is … to avoid the “industry”

However, the vast majority of owners prefer using a company and not getting involved. Even with perfectly good intentions, a maintenance company isn’t interested in having an oddball customer.

Your only way out is to go totally freelance, but there aren’t many EASA66 guys out there, for airfield-political reasons.

The last update I have seen was posted by @bookworm here.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message