Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELA1 / ELA2 maintenance (merged)

This one is probably highly relevant to GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wonder where this 1200kg limit comes from.

UK:
5 272 ELA1 aircraft (excluding balloons and helicopters).
962 ELA2 aircraft which are not ELA1 (excluding balloons and helicopters).

United Kingdom

ELA1 are sub 1200kg MTOM aircraft. For those, Part-M will no longer apply as of next year.

For other GA aircraft, Part-M Light is supposed to make the situation more bearable.

According to the document on page 13:

NOTE: The definition of ELA2 aircraft already includes all ELA1 aircraft.

That means ELA1 are included.

United Kingdom

On page 7 (Description….) it says "making Part-ML applicable to ELA2 aircraft and helicopters certified for up to 4 occupants and up to 1 200 kg Maximum Take-Off Mass (MTOM).
So my understanding is, that some ELA2 aircraft can also be below 1200 kg, so that for Part-ML the MTOM is the relevant bit.

EDLE

you need to read page 13:

In terms of aircraft categories, Part-ML is applicable to:

• ELA2 aircraft; and
  • helicopters certified for up to 4 occupants and up to 1 200 kg MTOM.

this and should have been an or.

United Kingdom

I’m afraid I got it mixed up here, ignoring, that Part M (and neither ML of course) is no longer applicable for aircraft below 1200 kg MTOM.

Happy to own an Annex II :-)

EDLE

ELA1 are sub 1200kg MTOM aircraft. For those, Part-M will no longer apply as of next year.

Any reference ?

I’m aware of allevations for ELA1 not involved in commercial operations which should be available soon but as far as I know, ELA1 will remain under Part-M (light when applicable)

Allevations includes minimum inspection program, non binding TBO, declared maintenance program… but that’s just a Part-M amendment.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 09 Jul 13:21

Finally, the EU Commission has published the new softened maintenance regime rules for ELA1 aircraft (max 4 seats and 1200kg MTOM).

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32015R1088&from=EN

It comes into effect July 27th, 2015. For German owners this removes the requirement to perform the Cessna SIDs and makes Germany again the most attractive register for sub 1200kg aircraft. Too bad the >1200kg holder still get shafted.

As a genuine open question and in preparation for the CDR on Part-ML, what are the specific benefits of the D-reg for sub 1200kg aircraft compared for example with the G-reg?

301 Posts
Sign in to add your message