Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELA1 / ELA2 maintenance (merged)

Not answering directly your question as it is not a Mooney and the BGA have some modifications to the template form but hopefully it will provide you some help.
The BGA has some example SDMP available at https://members.gliding.co.uk/library/example-sdmps/

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

zuutroy wrote:

If you had an example for a Mooney that would be particularly useful!

I have an example in German (M20J), recently updated and approved. You should easily be able to skip the German headers or match them with a French or English template. All references to maintenance manuals (Lyco, Mooney, etc.) in the document are in English.
If you’re interested PM me.

AJ
Germany

@AJ. You say ‘approved’. By whom? AFAIK it’s all ‘owner declared’, correct?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

This has come up many times. It cannot be solely “owner declared” Somebody has to approve your “self declared” programme. It may not be the CAA but it has to be somebody, otherwise most people would self declare really minimal maintenance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

M20J is 1243 kg MTOW so falls into ELA2 which needs to be approved by the national authority until March 23rd 2020.

EIMH, Ireland

Peter wrote:

This has come up many times. It cannot be solely “owner declared” Somebody has to approve your “self declared” programme. It may not be the CAA but it has to be somebody, otherwise most people would self declare really minimal maintenance.

I really don’t think this is true. The SDMP must not be less restrictive than the MIP (Minimum Inspection Programme) so you can’t just declare something arbitrarily minimal. AFAIK there is no requirement that an SDMP must be approved by anyone.

Andreas IOM

OK; that I understand

That would make an SDMP for a TB20 completely worthless. Socata’s MM has about 100 pages of stuff to do.

What if there is no MIP? Say it is a very old type.

A search for SDMP digs out various past threads. This one is good. A search for

SDMP AND MIP (uppercase AND)

is good too.

Administrator

MIP is defined by EASA and not type specific.

EIMH, Ireland

Where would one find the EASA MIP for a TB20, for example?

The old UK regime equivalent, CAA LAMS, was no better. You still had stuff like a 6 year prop overhaul…

Administrator

There is no MIP for a TB20, it’s not type specific. The MIP would be for a “non-complex aeroplane”.

The first link I could find to the non-complex MIP is published by the IAA (warning: MS Word doc): https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/minimum-inspection-programme—-aeroplanes.doc?sfvrsn=24280bf3_2

(presumably, any AD compliance would also need to be added to the SDMP in addition to the generic MIP, and anything else that’s been deemed required for the aircraft type).

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message