Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G500+GTN650+GTN750 in a TB20GT

It’s just what I would want :) . I don’t buy this idea that electronics fails all the time, and the integration makes life so much easier.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

That makes the TB20 look very modern – nice.

EGTK Oxford

In the last years I have seen several aircraft leave EBZW with new avionics.
Here two TB20’s with G500 that i saw.

Because Garmin now has an EASA AML STC ,customers don’t need to buy the expensive Socata STC

Last Edited by ebzw at 19 Aug 07:18

@ebzw You are an avionics shop. I will let this advertisement stay for now but please read the Guidelines. You will see that you have to contribute to the forum in general in order to do this. For avoidance of doubt, that means real help to people, not just e.g. dropping in a one-line comment or saying “there are ways”. We welcome businesses posting here but they have to contribute properly

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Seeing all those G500 installation I always wonder what the actual rules are concerning the backup instrumentation? Does it have to be right next to the G500. Does if have to be on the left side of the panel or does it have to be right there? Does an Aspen 1000 VFR PFD qualify as a backup instrument as it seems to be cheaper and nicer than the Mid Continent solution?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

We have multiple posts on this here. @NCYankee knows the details. I vaguely recall the EFD1000 does not meet FAA requirements because the battery is too small, so you have to fit an external battery. I have the detail in my TB20 writeup.

IMHO the battery required is way too small. I would make sure I have either a second alternator (as you can see, possible on a TB20 but you need to do some work with the engine removed) or have a big enough battery for flying all the way home i.e. 8 hours.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

or have a big enough battery for flying all the way home i.e. 8 hours.

Why have a battery for 8 hours when you can (may) divert within, say, the next hour ?
Is it so as not to end up stranded on ground with a problem away from home ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

Depends on the wx below you. You might need more than an hour to clear it. I have been above probable severe icing conditions for say 3 hours.

Administrator

I always wonder what the actual rules are concerning the backup instrumentation?

The AML STC requires standby attitude indicator, air speed indicator, altimeter and compass for IFR flights. None for VFR flights. Note that this is slightly different that the requirements of Aspen.
The standby instruments should be mechnical or L3 ESI-1000, ESI-2000, Mid Continent MD-302, 4200 (with backup power) or 4300-4xx. Other can be approved additionally.
The Aspen EFD-1000 is not listed as approved back instrument, neither does Aspen approve this.

On the Garmin G500/G600 AML STC the backup instruments can be placed around the display unit. The maximum distance from the screen depends on the size of the backup instruments.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Seeing all those G500 installation I always wonder what the actual rules are concerning the backup instrumentation? Does it have to be right next to the G500. Does if have to be on the left side of the panel or does it have to be right there?

A Cessna 172 with factory installed G1000 has the backup instruments at the middle bottom of the panel, over the engine controls. I’ve seen other aircraft (DA42?) with factory installed G1000 which have them at the middle top of the panel. So apparently it is not a certification requirement to have them next to the PFD.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message