Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bluetooth GPS which does NMEA and IOS, maybe EGNOS (GNS2000 maybe)

I’m not sure how to tell if it’s receiving SBAS, but this is what the Bad Elf GPS Pro showed when flying today:

EGBB

I opted for the Dual XGPS 160 and found it to be unreliable and had it replaced. I found the replacement to have battery trouble and either indicated it was fully charged when it was not, or did not retain the charge for more than 1.45. I had the second one replaced and sold the third without opening.

The customer service from Dual was diabolical and the reason I did not give them the benefit of the doubt with the third unit.

I used it to run Sky Demon on the an iPad and found the internal GPS of the iPad to be more reliable, albeit not perfect.

The Dual app for the iPad is extremely unstable.

Hi Peter,

I have bought and used the GNS2000, Garmin GLO and the SkyPro160. The GNS2000 I gave to a friend and with which he has never had, as I never had, any issues, it does also have a very definite on/off switch, the bane of the lives of those who have a Garmin GLO.

When Apple, on two occasions recently, cocked-up their iOS upgrade, the only GPS to work was the Garmin GLO, the SkyPro just did not want to know, despite this, I still have a soft spot for it.

Consequently, whilst I use the GLO as first choice for connection to two iPads (1x Mini and 1x Normal both running either Garmin Pilot and/or SkyDemon) I retain the SkyPro for redundancy, and check that it is working on a regular basis and always on the evening of the day before flight.

Agree wholeheartedly that the S6’s GPS is as much use as a chocolate teapot but it’s wi-fi hot spot works well!
Rex

Thank you all for your input.

Maybe I should try the GNS2000 one more time…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What about Bad Elf devices ?
I have had one for a while which is EGNOS/WAAS
They can do several devices at the same time but I have not tried iOS + something else

Edit : it seems to be an iOS compatible device only

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 22 Oct 08:39
ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

I have just got this reply from GNS2000:

Interesting. This is what I asked them:

It’s not clear from their grammar if it can do IOS and non-IOS concurrently. I will ask.

Administrator

Just got this:

So, still, it cannot feed an Ipad and an Android device concurrently!

Administrator

Update:

The GNS2000 does work with Android, but not exactly “out of the box”… you need to

• go into Settings and enable “mock locations”
  • download the GPS assist app
  • donate some money (I did €5) to the app developer to remove the adverts (otherwise it will hit your data allowance the whole time, downloading the next advert)
  • configure the app to start up with the device, and about half a dozen other parameters
  • configure it to make a distinct beep when it has a GPS fix (see below)

The real issue is that if you happen to start the moving map app (I am using Oziexplorer; not tried others) before the assist app has a GPS fix all sorted, Ozi just sits there for ever and never sees a GPS fix. You have to exit Ozi and restart it, and then it is OK.

So now I wait for the said beep from the assist app, before starting Ozi. This wait can be ~ 1 minute.

If you use Ozi with the internal GPS, and start it before the tablet has a GPS fix, it gets the fix OK. But the internal GPS is much less accurate, especially vertically, and like all internap GPSs you never quite know how close you are to losing reception.

Otherwise, the GNS2000 works great. The altitude is within 1ft – rock solid.

Administrator

Roger wrote:

I’m not sure how to tell if it’s receiving SBAS,

I think you can only see it in the Bad Elf App.
Or deduce it from the accuracy

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

I have not been able to connect to the GNS2000 using my win8 tablet (running Oziexplorer and some other stuff) despite it pairing apparently OK and creating a COM port.

So this is yet another device which is going on Ebay…

It works with Ipads but I don’t use one in the plane. It also works with the Android devices but I don’t use any of them for anything to do with navigation… only as a backup and their internal GPSs work well enough.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message