Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bluetooth GPS which does NMEA and IOS, maybe EGNOS (GNS2000 maybe)

Peter wrote:

If the ADL150 can drive an Ipad, and the Ipad/Foreflight can be set up to fall back to the Ipad’s internal GPS, that would be the best solution

The ADL devices can provide GDL90 style GPS data to ForeFlight (and SkyDemon) but will not be a general purpose iPad GPS source for other GPS based apps. ForeFlight and ADLConnect should switch to the internal GPS automatically. SkyDemon needs some user interaction for that.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

What is the best bluetooth GPS currently out? It needs to be capable of being externally powered (I don’t want to fiddle with charging yet another gadget) although I don’t mind breaking the case open and making a connection direct to the battery terminals, from a specially built power supply.

I am pretty sure there is nothing on today’s market which takes in an external antenna input, so would velcro this on top of the dash.

Does anyone know if the Ipad can be configured to automatically fall back onto its own internal GPS if an external bluetooth GPS fails?

I have in the past played around with dual (NMEA and IOS) GPSs but they all had silly issues and could not properly support both interfaces.

You can take that one and connect to any SBC with a linux on it. Actually it work on stratux, I have one on. The drawback is that you have to fix it somewhere in the cockpit and power supply it.
https://www.gnss.store/gnss-gps-modules/131-ublox-mini-neo-m8n-gps-gnss-lis3mdl-compass-triple-band-ant.html
It receives all GNSS constellation and give a real estimation of the position, often bigger than the Ipad GNSS receiver does. It also receive SBAS.

Peter wrote:

Does anyone know about Ipad fallback if the external GPS source fails?

it revert to internal one if exist, other wise you’ll have holes in the trace.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 17 Feb 08:23
LFMD, France

There is now a GNS3000 also…

Does anyone know about Ipad fallback if the external GPS source fails?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not cheap and cheerful by the time you buy the Garmin USB power cable, and rest assured you need the genuine Garmin one, if my experience with their dashcam is anything to go by But if it does the job…

There are a lot of bad reports about the Garmin Glo in past posts here. Have the issues been fixed? There were multiple issues with the Glo and the Ipad, with some fixed by downgrading the Ipad OS.

If the ADL150 can drive an Ipad, and the Ipad/Foreflight can be set up to fall back to the Ipad’s internal GPS, that would be the best solution. I suppose a manual GPS reconfig is OK too, so long as it is obvious the external GPS has failed. Maybe @Sebastian_G will know.

Administrator

Can’t you use the ADL for that ? I do.

EBST, Belgium

Cheap and cheerful Garmin Glo

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Having got an Ipad Mini 5, I am digging around this again, because I am not convinced that the built-in GPS will be reliable enough. The Ipad 2 GPS was rubbish, in the TB20. Some previous threads.

What is the best bluetooth GPS currently out? It needs to be capable of being externally powered (I don’t want to fiddle with charging yet another gadget) although I don’t mind breaking the case open and making a connection direct to the battery terminals, from a specially built power supply.

I am pretty sure there is nothing on today’s market which takes in an external antenna input, so would velcro this on top of the dash.

Does anyone know if the Ipad can be configured to automatically fall back onto its own internal GPS if an external bluetooth GPS fails?

I have in the past played around with dual (NMEA and IOS) GPSs but they all had silly issues and could not properly support both interfaces.

Administrator

I did try one more GNS2000.

It didn’t work properly, in addition to never receiving EGNOS. But I had it for too long to send back, so here is what is inside

I don’t see what would be hard about fitting an external antenna socket.

Administrator

I have not been able to connect to the GNS2000 using my win8 tablet (running Oziexplorer and some other stuff) despite it pairing apparently OK and creating a COM port.

So this is yet another device which is going on Ebay…

It works with Ipads but I don’t use one in the plane. It also works with the Android devices but I don’t use any of them for anything to do with navigation… only as a backup and their internal GPSs work well enough.

Administrator

Roger wrote:

I’m not sure how to tell if it’s receiving SBAS,

I think you can only see it in the Bad Elf App.
Or deduce it from the accuracy

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message