Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shipping an engine for an overhaul/repair

I am still waiting for a DHL price for you, @Flyingfish … maybe Monday. But if you got a good one, go with it

Are you getting the STCd camshaft with the oil gallery in it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Flyingfish, you must be Antoine at Diamond Aviator Network who just sold his DA40 and acquired the Extra 400?

Welcome to EuroGA! Hope you’ll get you engine sorted out. The Extra 400 looks like a great airplane. Unfortunaly I have never flown in one… so if you happen to come up to Toussus one of these days, please holler Michael and myself.

LFPT, LFPN

Updating this engine shipping thread with a good source for a pallet.

Pallet

The above pic shows 2 collars; 4 are needed to get the height.

1 × 1200mm x 1000mm wooden pallet type 5 A Grade £16.90
4 × 1200mm x 1000mm x 195mm wooden collar £17.90 each
1 x lid for above £12.90
ALL ABOVE IS FOR USA AND IS STAMPED ISPM15 HEAT TREATED.

The above box works for any IO540/550 size engine. Given the above costs there is no point in bothering with a card box, which then needs to be securely strapped to the pallet.

The expanding foam came from here (no, sorry, the lady in the bath was extra cost) and the foam is here and this is the kit

Please let’s not yet again divert this thread to “why overhaul / why ship to USA / etc” and anyway the previously mentioned Roeder in Germany have gone bust, incidentally after doing some crappy work for somebody I know…

I am going for an exchange engine, which is built from a very unusual (unusual in the exchange marketplace) first-run core, used in a VIP etc transport TB20 in the Israeli Air Force, by BPA in Oklahoma, as used before here. The exchange will reduce the turnaround time from 14 weeks to a few weeks. My existing accessories are being overhauled and will be fitted to the new engine. Exchange IO540-C4D5D engines are very rare, especially non-shagged cores, which is why I am taking the opportunity to do this at 1900hrs.

Administrator

Accessories being sent back for overhaul and for fitting to the new engine (the prop governor remains mounted on the engine)

Foam spray finished

Keeping the lid on for a bit…

Note that we didn’t need the four-up case. Only 3-up was just enough i.e. 600mm high.

Administrator

Well, I hope the new engine you are getting will fulfill all your expectations. Your “old” one looked quite pristine too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am sure the new one will perform exactly the same as the old one, plus or minus 1kt

I could obviously have gone with the old one for longer but eventually it would need doing, and here I have a chance to shortcut the time. Also IO540-C4D5D exchange engines are practically nonexistent.

Administrator

The engine is back from the USA

DHL cost more than quoted some months ago (£800 each way). It was £1100 and £1000 there and back. Still worth it; 5 days to get there (stuck in Customs 2x) and 3 days to come back. Air freight is about 75% of that cost and IME much more fraught.

Administrator

Peter,

on your older post with the picture of your accessories, what is the part on the left please? I’m afraid I don’t recognise that one.

EGTF, LFTF

It’s a Skytec high speed starter. It became intermittent (the mechanical engagement mechanism) so I installed a replacement, which turned out to run at 50% of the speed! More info at the bottom here. So I took advantage of this big box going to the USA to send it there for a possible overhaul (definitely not economic from Europe) but at some $400 it turned out to be uneconomic too, so it got dumped. The slower model was only a year old so is going to be fitted to the new engine. I don’t really need a spare starter motor (famous last words).

Administrator

Thanks!

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message