Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading of VFR-only-maintained aircraft to IFR

Forum,

I have access to a currently VFR-only-maintained aircraft. It used to be maintained and operated IFR for years, but the current owners only operate it VFR as they wanted to safe a couple of bucks. Now I want to utilise it IFR. The aircraft is a French registered Turbo Arrow.

What would it take in terms of money, effort and maintenance intervals to change the maintenance and operations back to IFR?
GNS430W, GTX330, GNC255, DME, ADF?
Pitot-static?
Maintenance regime?
Insurance?
Airworthiness?

Thank you for your advise

Niner Mike.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

All you need to do is a pitot static, VOR check and update the database and that should be it. At least here in FAA-land.

Thanks @AdamFrisch

This one is in Foxtrot-EASA land…

Abeam the Flying Dream

@Niner_Mike,

What current equipment do you have? I can not remember the regulations for pitot static / avionics testing of French registered aircraft.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

@jesse
The ones listed in my thread start

Abeam the Flying Dream

Ok, so your avionics are IFR capable. Have to check on testing. Likely you either allready conform for IFR as well, or you would need to do some testing for IFR. What does the last test rapport say? I can not check before tomorrow when I am back at the airfield to check French avionics / pitot static test requirements. Don’t recall the exact name of their test.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Niner_Mike wrote:

Foxtrot-EASA land

Shouldn’t that be Foxtrot Uniform-EASA land?

EGTK Oxford

@Jesse: as far as I know, the pitot-static, dme and adf have not tested recently for IFR.
Paperwork for GNS, radio and Mode S is good for IFR, but I am not sure if they need extra testing.

Thanks for your help!

Abeam the Flying Dream

Niner_Mike wrote:

GNS430W, GTX330, GNC255, DME, ADF?

That is not very elaborate. Can you expand?

Normally, if a plane has been IFR and nothing has been changed and it’s IFR certification has only lapsed relatively recently, you should be able to get it back rather quickly by submitting the necessary paperwork to the local CAA. Probably you will have to do a radio and pitot-static line test via your avionic shop to certify that everything is working fine.

If there have been changes made since or if the IFR was rested a while back, there may be new requirements in force which you will need to fulfill. Your avionic shop would be able to tell you that.

After that, it depends on the country, some recurrent radio checks may be required, you need to keep the databases of the GNS430 updated and that is it mostly.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You might want to check this document:

DGAC P41-15

I am not 100% sure, and can’t read French myself, but I think this is the document used for the testing. This is just from my memory so I can’t be wrong. Else I have to check with French reading colluege’s later this week.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message