Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cost of installing GNS430 versus GTN650

My VOR and ADF both are inop in my new to me G-Reg1973 Rallye. No DME. Radios scratchy. Needs paint and interior. Otherwise the plane is perfect. I need to deal with the 8.33 MHZ issue as well as Mode S & would like to upgrade avionics up to basic level IFR (at least for en route IMC). It seems to me that a 430 or 430W would make a lot of sense (addressing 8.33, and giving me a GPS localizer and GS). My question concerns the cost of installation (paperwork costs). I would prefer the cheaper solution (capability of 430 is sufficient for me). But if there are paperwork issues that add a few thousand Euros to get a used 430 installed that are not charged for the GTN, perhaps it makes sense to fork over the big bucks and buy the GTN 650.

Could someone explain what it will take for me to install a used 430 or 430W into the plane? I’d also like advice on transponder upgrade to Mode S (KT76A is what I have now).

Com 1 is TKM MX11 and Com 2 is KY97A. There is also an ancient Skyforce panel mounted GPS that I pay no attention to because I can’t make out the screen and I have a 696 & I like pilotage and sectionals anyway.

What would be the best option for a low cost IFR panel that meets 8.33 and Mode S requirements going forward?

Tököl LHTL

Can’t help on the 430…. but I can with the transponder!

I swapped out the KT76A in my TB20 for a Bendix King KT74 from:-

KT74

It’s a slide in replacement for your existing transponder. It took less than 20mins to install and came with all of the EASA paperwork. Lawrence at Mendelsshon was very helpful and pre-programmed the transponder with the ICAO address and callsign. They offer £140plus VAT credit on your old transponder (refunded to your credit card once received).

I did look at a few transponders and went with this one due to the direct swap out, no mod paperwork etc. It was robust and easy to use in turbulence. Some of the lower price transponders seemed more complex to enter the squark with one button, I prefer numbered buttons personally.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Alex, thanks, that is helpful indeed.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

I’d also like advice on transponder upgrade to Mode S (KT76A is what I have now).

Trig makes a slide in replacement for the KT-76A – the TT-31

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

Trig makes a slide in replacement for the KT-76A – the TT-31

… and the King KT74 cited above is just a re-branded Trig !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

re. paperwork issues 430 vs 650:

The GNS430WAAS and the GTN650 both have very comprhensive STC AMLs, but NOT the GNS (non-WAAS) , so from a purely paperwork point-of-view, they are on a par and easier than the older non WAAS 430s.

That said, their is virtually no difference in the physical install between the GNS430W and the GTN650

Last Edited by Michael at 01 Nov 21:31
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael, thanks, helpful.

Tököl LHTL

For most aircraf their is no longer much difference for either GNS W or not, and GTN from a paperwork and installation cost. Prices on used GNS’s stay high. If you should consider the GTN, be sure to try out the garmin GTN simulator, prefferably on I-Pad as that one is better than the PC simulator. There are simulators for GNS as well if you wish (runs upto Windows XP).

Alex_ wrote:

I did look at a few transponders and went with this one due to the direct swap out, no mod paperwork etc.

Are you sure you are correct here? Under which regime?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Try the Avidyne IFD440 simulator as well, available for free for iOS. I like their UI better than Garmin’s.

Jesse, what’s your estimate on the cost difference (unit included) of an installation on 430W versus 650? Also, are you saying the STC issues are the same for 430 and 430W?

Tököl LHTL
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message