Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European-reg owner-pilot maintenance privileges

This thread picks up from the EGT Probe thread

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

The matter would be to take the cowling off.

And the CAMO may have something to say, if they find something not in conformity.

Is there no EASA equivalent to FAA “owner preventative maintenance” ?

ps: I will be @ LFMA in the next week or so.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Is there no EASA equivalent to FAA “owner preventative maintenance” ?

There is, it’s part of the maintenance program.

I am sure it’s not legal for a non engineer to change an egt probe but it is a totally pragmatic thing to do for someone with the skills.

The connectors are poor for the job but evidently not poor enough

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am sure it’s not legal for a non engineer to change an egt probe but it is a totally pragmatic thing to do for someone with the skills.

Wrong you are twice here. First of all, in EASA land, a monkey can remove and install the wings as long as somebody with the right credentials signs off. The person doing the work does not need any formal qualification at all and the majority of Part 145 employees at least in Germany have no formal qualification as aircraft mechanic.

Secondly, my maintenance program approved by LBA allows me to replace the EGT probe on my own without any kind of signoff. It is mentioned in the list of allowed maintenance operations under “electrical equipment”: “Replacing and repairing electric connections of non critical components”.

My CAMO (in England) has no problem with sending me the probes and the connectors and me replacing the probes. I did it 4 x last year …

I know about 50hrs visit performed by the owner in EASA land.
But this is available for private use only.
As a company (dixit Petit Cessna Voyageur), renting the plane to other people, I am not authorized to do that (so I was said).

@achimha
Who wrote your maintenance program ? Are you using a CAMO, or are fully responsible for airworthiness follow up ?

@Michael
Please advise by PM when you come in Aix !
I will do my best to go at the airfield to meet you if you have little time !

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

I know about 50hrs visit performed by the owner in EASA land.

EASA does not allow you to do a “50h check” or the like, the CAAs approve individual maintenance programs that can contain a list of approved owner maintenance operations. If your 50h check only costs of such approved operations, then you can do it yourself.

My maintenance program was written by the CAMO and myself and approved by the CAA. My aircraft is not in a controlled environment, the CAMO is only involved in the annual every year. The way to do this is to put everything imaginable in there that can be approved by CAA, i.e. has been approved in the past.

It depends … on the country.

The CAA (G-reg) will not let you have an individual maintenance program until now, you have to do the maintenance according to “LAMP766” and the manufacturer’s checklist. My CAMO has been trying fro some time to get individual programs for Cirrus aircraft get approved by the CAA, but they don’t accept it yet. That’s actually the biggest downside of G-reg compared to D-reg. I Germany it is no problem to get an individual program approved for the SR22.

To be honest, I don’t know if individual program can be submitted under F-reg.
The CAMO’s maintenance program seems to be the exact transcription of the MM.
What achimha has done implies one’s relies on the cumulated past experiences of individual program, so he knows what should be written in its own.

@achimha wrote:

Secondly, my maintenance program approved by LBA allows me to replace the EGT probe on my own without any kind of signoff. It is mentioned in the list of allowed maintenance operations under “electrical equipment”

Which means you can change the probe, but I guess cannot change the specific part, by a more convenient or less expensive one. Unless you just don’t care ?
(For the French readers, I remind a crude quotation of a famous written (Boris Vian): " Il y a deux façons d’enculer les mouches : avec ou sans leur consentement. ")

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 16 Nov 20:49

my maintenance program approved by LBA allows me to replace the EGT probe on my own without any kind of signoff. It is mentioned in the list of allowed maintenance operations under “electrical equipment”

Not in the UK, on certified aircraft above some weight.

EASA does not allow you to do a “50h check” or the like

Is this not valid anymore, or was it always bogus?

First of all, in EASA land, a monkey can remove and install the wings as long as somebody with the right credentials signs off. The person doing the work does not need any formal qualification at all and the majority of Part 145 employees at least in Germany have no formal qualification as aircraft mechanic.

Well, obviously, but that wasn’t the context, which was whether a private pilot can do it himself.

I agree with the pragmatic advice to just do it, off the books, but you do need the skills to do it right.

Even though I am allowed to change tyres myself (G-reg and N-reg) would I do it myself? No… it involves jacking the plane up, and messing around with the wheels which split down the middle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message