Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lithium battery in aircraft

In the case of a TB20 with full TKS, this battery would save weight where it is useful, helping to offset the weight of the fluid. But at 6k that would be a ridiculous proposition especially as I carry some 20kg of tools and spares in the same area!

I wonder if anyone in Germany can phone Straubing and ask them the cost breakdown?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am not sure if this is the same battery as above (12V or 24V?) but it has been reported at below $3k for the uncertified version.

Looks the same one to me…

Administrator
EDxx, Germany

Earth-X, first mentioned years ago above is still out there, with some certified models.

Their 2020 Brochure lists a load of 12V models and you need to dig through the dimensions to see which of the old lead types are intended to be replaced with these.

But for 28V aircraft the choice is simpler: they list just one

The dimensions are within the popular Concorde RG24-15 but at 6.6" it is about 0.6" higher which could be a problem.

This is a LiFePO4 battery which doesn’t have the “catching fire” problems.

Administrator

I might be wrong but I believe only the 12V version is for certified aircrafts. I looked at the 24V to replace a Gill battery in my Mooney but it’s for Experimental only for now. Hopefully that will change soon.

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States

EarthX attracts a lot of US experimental pilots and builders. The weight advantage is very appealing indeed.
Some still don’t like the idea of a lithium battery in their plane.

The main exp battery maker (Odyssey) seems to have some quality issues which makes the experimental community lean towards EarthX.

LFOU, France

They have a TSOed battery for certified planes. Quite expensive.
https://earthxbatteries.com/product-category/certified-aircraft

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

French DGAC issues a warning about lithium batteries, including a interview from an FI who ditched near Corsica after the Li battery of his UL caught fire in flight.
It is in French.

This is targeted to ULs but it could be interesting for GA pilots.
French UL experience about 5 Li battery fires per year

LFOU, France

Argh.

1. His life vest didn’t inflate… He inflated by blowing from his mouth.
  2. The SAR helicopter was looking for him at the wrong place (although he was in radio & radar contact); he swam back to the shore… 1h30! And then he walked 5h through maquis shrubland. He didn’t have a PLB nor ELT… (not mandatory for ultralight).
ELLX

The ETX680 is out now. Should be usable, but the 24V (ETX680-24-VNT) is close to $1000.

ETX680_24_VNT_Prod_Spec_pdf
2020_Brochure_pdf

Administrator
Sign in to add your message