Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV approaches - GS and minima

NCYankee wrote:

My point is that this procedure has a final approach segment that is 7.0 NM or greater and therefore when Jeppesen makes the database record for that procedure it can’t be coded as an LNAV/VNAV.

Aha.

Could this be the reason for EDDE RNAV RWY 10 to show LNAV instead of LNAV/VNAV?

So I should find an LNAV/VNAV approach in Germany with final approach segment shorter than 7NM.

ESTL

Actually i can’t – I’d have to fly there. With the 430W I can only select “RNAV” approach from the database and will only see which one I get once I’m on the approach.

But I bet Jason will be there soon again report :-)

Flyer59 wrote:

Actually i can’t – I’d have to fly there. With the 430W I can only select “RNAV” approach from the database and will only see which one I get once I’m on the approach.

But I bet Jason will be there soon again report :-)

Yes you can. You can do this on the ground before you depart. Simply go thru the selection process on your GNS430W up to the point that you have selected the approach and the small map of the procedure is depicted. In the lower RH corner you will see what the annunciation will be when you arrive. You can cancel out of this by merely pressing and holding the CLR button.

edit: Send me a PM and I will explain how to do it from home.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 17 Dec 16:34
KUZA, United States

Anders wrote:

So I should find an LNAV/VNAV approach in Germany with final approach segment shorter than 7NM.

It might make a difference, but it is all dependent on what Germany requires in the database.

KUZA, United States

Anna Kurlanc of NATS is a designer of RNAV procedures. See gave an interesting presentation on these designs during the KNVvL / AOPA-NL meeting in Lelystad. You can see here presenatation here: RNAV flight procedure design

@Peter, I don’t know if you want to make a local copy, unsure how long this will stay online.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Downloaded. Thanks

Local copy here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve found an “errata sheet” from Garmin listing some approaches that are removed in the navdata and some approaches that have LNAV/VNAV and/or LPV minima but are only available as LNAV.

garmin_data_exclusions.pdf

There is a long list of approaches that are only available as LNAV even though there exist LPV or LNAV/VNAV. This issue does not seem to affect the GTN-series, so I find it weird that I do not get LNAV/VNAV indication for Erfurt EDDE. Or, is there some other known issue that prenvents LNAV/VNAV for EDDE in the GTN boxes?

Or maybe the bug is that the appoach is in the country West Germany and not Germany.

ESTL

What the document also says is that these issues were solved, for example with SW version 5.10 for the GNS400W/500W series.
I have 5.20

(When I bought the two “W” units two months ago they were on SW version 3.×. They were from a 2009 Cirrus, but nobody had every bothered upgrading the software)

To me the wording is ambiguous as to whether the problem is completely fixed in later SW versions for the GNS.

ESTL

Doesn’t it say “issue resolved in SW version 5.10”? Why is that not clear? It should be IMHO ….

Will report if I fly to one of the mentioned …

Sign in to add your message