Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reducing GPS database costs

A tiny bit cheaper but similar. But of course I also have to buy navdata for the MFD plus charts. Not exactly a bargain this glass cockpit stuff.

I am sure you could create user way points anywhere you like.

EGTK Oxford

You are gonna find out if you want to fly to here which, according to Mr Jepp, is not in Europe

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I'm not sure that same "partial Europe" is supplied for 430/530 - AFAIK it includes Iceland and Grenland as well and I guess at least HU, CZ, SK are included.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Well you can of course pay for a larger Europe sub. But on the 430s it was the same.

EGTK Oxford

I don't understand this.

The GNS430W shows

Navigation data: all U.S. & most intl. approaches, DPs and STARs Navigation database coverage areas: Americas, International or Worldwide

The GTN650 shows the same.

Are Garmin really selling differently divided-up database areas for the two?

The comparison of the two, accessible here, says nothing.

It's very difficult to find online database pricing for these two products, but I found this posting on a US forum, from 2011, for the GTN650/750:

NavData (Americas or International): $180 single; $530 subscription *  
Obstacle (US/Europe): $50 single; $195 subscription **  
Terrain (Worldwide): $150 single  
SafeTaxi (US): $50 single; $195 subscription **  
FliteCharts (750 only) (US): $95 single; $395 subscription *  
Basemap (Worldwide): $100 single  

* 28-day cycle; 13 updates per year
** 56-day cycle; 7 updates per year

which suggests the 13 cycle sub should be $530/year. This is only a bit more than the KLN94, but surely "International" will be all of Europe!

I wonder if JasonC's posts in this thread are actually talking about JEPPVIEW (terminal chart) coverage, rather than the BASEMAP ! Because the map posted earlier is the JEPPVIEW COVERAGE MAP

I've never heard of any IFR GPS limited to Western Europe, as suggested.

Can one of the 430W owners here supply their costs and database coverage?

This is an eye-opener, for anybody wanting to install 2 x GNS.

Administrator

Yes Peter but that is for one unit. You can get International. you can also get Central Europe. Go to Jepp Direct and you can see the different options.

EGTK Oxford

Jason, I think you have been ripped off because the "Central Europe" map here is totally different from the one you posted

GTN650/750 is €412
GNS430W/530W is €359

and you get all of Europe.

For a dual GTN650+750, one pays €557.

Administrator

Any GNS530/430 users? I might know a way ... PM me please.

EDMA, Germany

I dislike the Jepp subscription details. You buy a year, if you use on 10 or 5 it doesn't matter. You can call then and deactivate your subscription for some time. I never know how long it will be. I'd love to buy 10 updates and use it whenever I like.

United Kingdom

Here is a current price list for Garmin aviation databases (as offered in the US):

GARMIN AVIATION DATABASES

The only data that can be optionally added by those flying outside the US are region-specific FlightCharts databases, the coverage of each corresponds exactly to the coverage of a specific geographical sector of JeppView Worldwide Electronic Charts. For Europe these sectors are:

JEPPESEN EUROPE

Jeppsen has also something special for the true citizens of the World: JEPPESEN WORLDWIDE

Note that these are Jeppesen prices for JeppView packages (each containing not only e-charts but also sector-specific Airways Manual package) and not for the corresponding FlightCharts databases.

YSCB
Sign in to add your message