Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AeroShell W15W-50 vs Total Aero DM 15W-50

Is this more or less the same oil?

I found some old posts indicating the Total was inferior to the Aeroshell…?

I use AeroShell 15W50 because it has corrosion inhibitors already blended. Not sure that the Total Aero DM has same, you would have to have a look at the spec sheet.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Found the spec sheet on Total here : Aero DM 15W50 local copy

Last Edited by Michael at 07 Jan 07:20
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

In my limited experience, the Total oil is (predictably) used widely in French aeroclubs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From looking at the data linked above both products look much the same at first glance, no doubt those of you with more chemical knowlage will have an opinion on this.

I know that both Aeroshell W 15W50 and Total AERO DM 15W-50 include the additive required by Lycoming when using unleaded AVGAS.

Is that the corrosion inhibitor that @Michael refers to?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

(predictably)

Tout à fait!

Last Edited by at 07 Jan 09:35
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Airborne_Again wrote:

I know that both Aeroshell W 15W50 and Total AERO DM 15W-50 include the additive required by Lycoming when using unleaded AVGAS.

Is that the corrosion inhibitor that @Michael refers to?

I thought it did, but reading the spec sheet shows a Lycoming additive but I’m not sure it’s the corrosion preventative – will need to check or perhaps someone else can confirm ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes, AFAIK Shell 15W/50 contains additives that prevent corrosion. I used it in the SR22 until I switched to straight D100 oil + Camguard, because it looks like, from everything i read and heard (Mike Busch, COPA), that Camguard is the better additive. … FWIW …

As an extra added dynamic to an oil discussion. If you burn Mogas exclusively you can use all synthetic, high performance oils. I am using Mobil 1 4T motorcycle racing oil in my 912iS. It has much higher temperature ranges resisting breakdown at high temps. I am also able to double the oil change intervals by avoiding 100LL. Flight Design recommends the Aeroshell product when burning 100LL.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 07 Jan 19:12
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message