Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Result of EASA survey on PBN (PRNAV?)

Here

I vaguely recall filling in some online survey...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The TB20 scores pretty high on the airplane chart -- are you sure you only filled out the survey once?

Also, it's clear that Brits fly to Le Touquet and Germans to Egelsbach.

Wonder how much money was spent to get those 300 surveys filled out.

Wonder how much money was spent to get those 300 surveys filled out.

Not as much as they spent on this groundbreaking piece of research.

Never before in the history of the EU has so much effort been spent on discovering so much that was so obvious.

However I think the findings are as one would expect, in terms of value to GA, versus the expenditure.

Administrator

Not as much as they spent on this groundbreaking piece of research.

Appalling quality of report....the conclusion was very difficult to decipher...however I interpret it as recommending that the QB be doubled from its present size, made common to all member states and only be available 2.5 days before taking the exam.....is that correct?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Awqward said:

.... it as recommending that the QB be doubled from its present size, made common to all member states and only be available 2.5 days before taking the exam ...

"More blood, toil, tears, and sweat" as Peter might have put it (see #03).

YSCB
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I knew I shouldn't have started that

Speaking of the EASA funded study on the question bank size, that is one reason I suggest to anybody working towards the IR to go for the present 7-exam ground school.

There are several workable online QBs for it and it is probably a few weeks' worth of evenings.

The other reason for not waiting for any new "CBM IR" ground school is that it is bound to take some time for the online QBs to be generated.

Especially as the bulk of the ATPL sausage machine contents will be doing the full 14 ATPL exams whose syllabus will be much bigger. Currently, a QB author can generate a "PPL/IR" QB by taking the 7 "ATPL IR" exams and stripping out questions which are obviously not in the syllabus. While the CBM IR syllabus has not been changed (they merely took the existing syllabus and stripped it down, not adding anything new) the amount of stripping down will be substantial. So we can expect delays in the CBM IR QB appearance.

Does anybody know where the CBM IR is? Last I heard it was in Comitology but that was months ago. It seems to have got stuck somewhere.

If the CBM IR gets killed off, everybody waiting for it will have wasted years of their life flying without the capability.

On the PBN study, maybe this might make EASA realise that making PRNAV (and LPV) a Major mod is stupid. When GPS approaches originally arrived, the required AFMS was also an EASA Major mod, before somebody told them that GPS approaches will be dead in the water that way (presumably it was realised one could fly the NDB/DME approach using GPS 100% legally) and EASA changed their policy.

Administrator
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message