337 and a 145 company

Can a 145 company issue a 337 other than the usual ways ie

• STC
  • Field Approval
  • DER 8110
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Your question needs clarifying :

- “a 145 company” – Are you referring to an FAA 14 CFR Part 145 Certified Repair Station or ?

- What are you trying to establish since the authority to “issue” a Form 337 is one thing and the “Supporting Data”, STC, Field Approval, etc. is something else.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes. I thought that was obvious since a 337 is FAA

I am trying to establish whether a 145 firm can do an airframe mod (say, fitting an antenna) and just write out a 337 without any evident supporting docs. It is widely done, it seems, in the USA and elsewhere. I have seen it myself.

AFAICT it means nothing; it’s just a warm feeling for the customer. I doubt they send the 337 to AFS-750 in Oklahoma, too

In the case I am thinking of, the work is (IMHO) a Minor Alteration anyway, so why do a 337? It’s because, IMHO, the concept is misunderstood.

Administrator

If it is a Major Repair or Major Alteration it requires Approved Data such as an STC or DER/Field Approval….if it is not major the all you need is Acceptable Data which means conformance with AC43.13-1a and 2a and/or MM, service letters/bulletins….

If installing an antenna is not Major then you are OK….

In terms of whether a RS can fill in a 337, yes if they gave the appropriate RS Authorizations (Airframe in this case)….but an A&P could just as easily fill it in…but in this case if it is not Major then s 337 is not required at all!

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 19 Jan 08:17
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I guess my Q was whether a 145 firm has any additional authority in connection with a 337 compared to an A&P/IA.

Administrator

I would say less….you don’t even need an A&P to have a RS certificate! Let alone with IA privileges…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

I guess my Q was whether a 145 firm has any additional authority in connection with a 337 compared to an A&P/IA.

With regards to filing 337s, the Part 145 Repair Station has no more “authority” than an A&P WITH IA .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

AnthonyQ wrote:

.you don’t even need an A&P to have a RS certificate! Let alone with IA privileges…

Whilst that may be true, the Process to obtain AND maintain a Part 145 Repair Station Licence is far more rigorous than obtaining and maintaining an A&P with IA licence.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

So such a 337 is bogus?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So such a 337 is bogus?

Bogus ? no just not required & unnecessary .

The FAA has published guidelines about Major vs Minor and filing 337s to cut down on the proliferation of what I will describe as “CYA” filings.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message