Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Robin 253 IFR avionics update

Robin_253 wrote:

Thank you. Seems like getting two second hand GNS430 units would be the optimal solution.

There is this EASA MML STC for GNS 430 / 530 W which is supposed to be available for 300€.

It may worth asking if the DR253 is included in the AML and if it contains provision for dual installation.

Guillaume wrote:

There is this EASA MML STC for GNS 430 / 530 W which is supposed to be available for 300€.

That STC does not cover the installation of GNS430 or installation of GNS430W. It only covered already existing units, ie there needs to be a separate piece of paper which allows the installation. The STC does however cover upgrading from a GNS430 to a GNS430W.

STC text added below. I do not know which aircraft that are included in “All applicable aircraft types are listed on multi model list (MML-1259)

Project Description: EASA Aircraft Model List (AML) supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for the the approval of an Garmin GNS-W (WAAS) GPS Navigation System for Localiser Performance with Vertical Guidance (LPV)

1. Reason for change
Approval of an existing Garmin GPS system to add LPV capability.
2. Description of change
This major change (STC) is raised for to allow existing Garmin GNS430W/530W GPS navigation systems to be approved for LPV operations approval on a range of aircraft.
The STC also approves exchange of an existing GNS430/530 for one of the above WAAS variants but excludes adding additional capabilities such as TAWS. Changes introducing TAWS require additional certification and aircraft installation changes beyond the scope of this STC.
Where an existing GNS530-TAWS includes a certified TAWS-B capability, this STC includes data to allow the TAWS-B function to remain active when the unit is upgraded to a GNS530W-TAWS.
Where an aircraft uses vertical glideslope deviation from an existing GNS unit to an external TAWS-A system for GPWS Mode 5 (below glideslope), this STC allows continued use of this function and in addition, will allow vertical GPS deviation during an LPV to be provided to the TAWS-A.
The upgrade approves replacement of an existing Garmin GA56, Garmin 1027 or a Honeywell/Bendix King KA92 GPS antenna with a Garmin GA35 GPS WAAS antenna in the same airframe location (provided that an existing satisfactory structural doubler is installed in the case of pressurized aircraft) and replacing the associated antenna co-axial feeder with one of an appropriate specification where required.
The aircraft types included on this STC are in accordance with a Gama Aviation (Engineering) Ltd. (GAEL) Multi Model List (MML). The aircraft types on MML are all EASA TCDS or adopted EASA TCDS controlled, CS23, single pilot operated and with simple electrical bus-bar systems.
The approval of LPV capability is for an existing Garmin GPS unit of the following versions:
(i) GNS530W, GNS530AW, GNS530W-TAWS, GNS530AW-TAWS
(ii) GNS430W, GNS430AW
Hereafter, the units will be referred to as the GNS-W unit.
The STC will approve the operational use of the above units for the following navigation performance requirements:
(a) RNAV 5 (BRNAV) in accordance with EASA AMC20-4
(b) PRNAV operations in accordance with JAA TGL-10
(c) GPS non-precision approach in accordance with AMC20-27
(d) LPV approaches in accordance with AMC20-28.
Presentation of GPS system annunciation is via a Mid-Continent Instruments MD41 GPS Annunciation Unit, which is installed as part of this change if not already present on the aircraft, or via annunciators displayed on an appropriate EFIS system. OEM service bulletin upgrades may be required to the EFIS systems to permit LPV annunciation and approval of these upgrades are outside the scope of this STC.
The minimum annunciation displayed to the pilot within the primary field of view is as follows:
GPS or Nav source to CDI/HSI.
GPS Loss of Integrity
GPS in Approach mode
GPS in Terminal mode (TERM)
GPS Message (MSG) and GPS Waypoint (WPT)

Note that apart from the changes mentioned above, i.e. the GNS-W unit, replacing an equivalent non WAAS unit, the annunciator and the antenna there are no physical changes introduced by this STC.
A flight manual supplement is required to release the aircraft to service in accordance with this change.

It is a prerequisite of this STC that:
(1) A second VHF navigation and VHF communication system is installed. It is not required that the second Comm and Nav system be a GNS-W.
(2) The aircraft must be equipped with an operational DME and Transponder.
(3) The aircraft meets the requirements of Electrical Power Supplies for Aircraft Radio Systems in accordance with UK CAA CAP747 GR-18 (No single likely component failure e.g. relay, contactor, switch, busbar, earth point etc. shall cause the loss of all radio equipment).
Note: this is a certification requirement for all aircraft registrations, not just UK CAA. Where changes to the electrical power distribution system are required for compliance with GR 18, the changes are subject to independent approval beyond the scope of this STC.
(4) The aircraft is compliant with the requirement of providing 30 minutes of electrical power to those loads that are essential to continued safe flight and landing in accordance with UK CAA CAP747 GR-4/6. This is a requirement for all aircraft.
(5) Further pre-requisites of the STC with respect to installed equipment, its location and associated aircraft power supplies are stated in the installation/post installation procedures (IPI).
(6) This change is approved for single pilot operation only.
(7) All applicable aircraft types are listed on multi model list (MML-1259)
The operator/ pilot must obtain the required approvals for operational use of the installed equipment.
Series—modified aircraft do not require a flight test unless otherwise specified by Gama Engineering. An evaluation flight of autopilot-coupled LPV is recommended and should ideally be carried out in VMC.

ESTL

That sounds like one of the EASA STCs obtained by Lees Avionics (later Gama).

Interesting it says “The aircraft must be equipped with an operational DME and Transponder”. I wonder what might have driven that slightly bizzare requirement! How can that possibly affect the certification?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stampe wrote:

Fyi if it helps a friend had a new build DR400/180 built by Robin in 2000 the factory installation was GNS430 navcom GNS 420 gpscom and an Stec 30 autopilot a very simple but effective fit which seemed radically outlandish at the time but which has become increasingly relevant over the years.Vbr Stampe

Thanks! 2 * GNS is my configuration of choice, but I will need to check with EASA if they would allow it in an old Robin.

Peter wrote:

But two GPSs takes you back into EASA Major mod territory, no?

No… It only list Garmin GNS series. So no problem installing a GNS and a KMD for example.

It is a stupid regulation. You might also find other old approvals. These will likely be non WAAS approvals. The topic starter doesn’t need WAAS as he doesn’t want to do approaches. A non WAAS GNS is very capable for EIR.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Stampe wrote:

Fyi if it helps a friend had a new build DR400/180 built by Robin in 2000 the factory installation was GNS430 navcom GNS 420 gpscom and an Stec 30 autopilot a very simple but effective fit which seemed radically outlandish at the time but which has become increasingly relevant over the years.Vbr Stampe

This doesn’t help, as this was a factory installation and another type of aircraft.

Robin_253 wrote:

Thanks! 2 * GNS is my configuration of choice, but I will need to check with EASA if they would allow it in an old Robin.

If your seeking for a new approval, they won’t. This is explicit excluded from minor changes. Why do you need two units?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Anders wrote:

That STC does not cover the installation of GNS430 or installation of GNS430W. It only covered already existing units, ie there needs to be a separate piece of paper which allows the installation. The STC does however cover upgrading from a GNS430 to a GNS430W.

Correct, it only enables WAAS for LPV. As topic starter doesn’t want approaches, this doesn’t make sense.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Sorry for intruding – new member to the forum.

As Peter correctly posted earlier, the EASA AML STC for LPV promoted by PPL/IR and funded by ESA is owned by Gama Aviation at Fairoaks and covers approval of an existing GNS4xx/5xx for LPV, including upgrading a non-WAAS box to WAAS where necessary. It doesn’t cover the basic installation of GNS units. There are good reasons for the pre-requisite condition of having a DME and transponder, but those are for a separate discussion!

However, the good news is that Gama also have another STC (mod 1224, EASA 10034814) which allows installation of single or dual GNS-W units in almost all Part 23 piston types, with approval for BRNav. Therefore, using the installation mod (1224) plus the LPV mod (1259) will give you full IFR certification for BRNav, PRNav and LPV. The one downside is that for Robin aircraft, the approval only currently covers the 300/400 series! The aim behind this STC was to allow continued installation of second-hand boxes which are becoming available as some owners upgrade to GTNs.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Jesse wrote:

Why do you need two units?

Well, if understand correctly equipment requirements for an IFR flight, I need two COM and two NAV boxes. Practically non of my existing avionics can be reused so i’m fishing for a simple and economic solution to make the airplane IFR capable. If double GNS configuration is a no go, than I would rather fallback to GNS430 + GNC255 (thanks A_and_C).

wigglyamp wrote:

The one downside is that for Robin aircraft, the approval only currently covers the 300/400 series!

Is there any chance that this STC would be extended to cover Robin 200 series?

Welcome to EuroGA wigglyamp

Let me point out that wigglyamp is Gama (formerly Lees Avionics).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message