Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Guys – Garmin Pilot now available to download. Looks like it has radar overlay (yeah!) and SVS

Downloaded – I feel the urge to go flying tomorrow :)

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Look at the weather overlays. Overlay radar, cloud & lightening – it’s an interesting evening to watch the cell movement off Dinard. Fab WX

As I am using foreflight and GP in the US right now this is a great development. If only we had XM weather with Nexrad in Europe

EGTK Oxford

The app says it’s incompatible with my Android devices (Nexus 7 and Nexus 5). Anyone knows what the reason is?

Is it really the device? For me it says wrong country.

LSZK, Switzerland

For those of you who have tried it, what charts are included and how does it compare to Skydemon and the Jeppesen mobile VFR app?

Also what happens when the database runs out?

I am told that both Skydemon and JeppFD stop working, after something like 2 months. Navbox doesn’t have that issue, though of course it doesn’t compare on features.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just had a look and it feels very good but fails my quick test it’s not showing some class A airspace in the UK.
Just North of Lyneham at SIREN the Airway L9 starts at 6500 but Garmin misses it, also missing just South of Southampton Airway Q41 which starts at 3500.
I guess they are taking the airspace electronically and not applying any intelligence to it.
EasyVFR, SD and Jepp VFR have it correct.

Norman
United Kingdom

This is a real game changer.

I myself am a devotee of Foreflight here in the US and I think it’s the best aviation software I’ve ever seen. However, one of its downsides is that it only covers US and Canada VFR/IFR. This is no big deal for us smaller GA fliers, but for people that fly internationally a lot, it is. It’s also a case of familiarity – even if you just plan on flying internationally once in your lifetime, it’s better to be able to do it on a software platform you know well.

Garmin’s Pilot, which has sailed up as a pretty fierce competitor to Foreflight, just announced that they will have global support, both IFR and VFR. Don’t know what the price for the subscriptions would be, but this is huge news. I would assume this would multiply the sales in Europe thousand fold. I hope Foreflight would introduce something similar soon, otherwise I might have to change…

Link

587 Posts
Sign in to add your message