Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

I would like the Safe Taxi product… nothing else. I wonder if the US .apk would deliver that?

No. Because you would need a Garmin subscription to use this part of the app (or any other part for that matter), and the requisite US subscription does not include a download option for the non-US data.

They just need to hire another full-time programmer who knows Android.

You are underestimating the software engineering effort required, by at least an order of magnitude.

Just come across this video

It is from the US perspective.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use SD and Jepp FD VFR for my VFR flights, and now also Jepp FD vor my IFR training. And Jeppview to print the SID and STAR charts.
I used to have Garmin Pilot as well but didn’t keep it, because it didn’t have any VFR approach plates, at least not for Germany…. did they change that ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Posts moved here from this thread

On this note Garmin Pilot now allows you overlay your Jepp charts – if you have an extra Jepp seat to use. It’s a rather fantastic feature.

You mean terminal charts (approach plates) and if so are they georeferenced?

Is it tied to a Jeppview installation on a PC, or does it hook into a Jeppesen license by S/N and the data is downloaded into the GP app itself? IOW, what is the process of installing the charts on a device running GP?

Sadly GP is IOS only; the Android version is blocked from being sold in Europe

Administrator

DMEarc wrote:

On this note Garmin Pilot now allows you overlay your Jepp charts – if you have an extra Jepp seat to use. It’s a rather fantastic feature.

They have always (?) had georeferenced AIP approach plates, which is a really nice feature.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Peter wrote:

Is it tied to a Jeppview installation on a PC, or does it hook into a Jeppesen license by S/N and the data is downloaded into the GP app itself? IOW, what is the process of installing the charts on a device running GP?

You pay for the charts, and it uses the AIP places, georeferenced (but not ALL AIP plates, for instance not airport diagrams, and IIRC not the Visual manoeuvre chart (VPT) at Cannes LFMD for instance

Sadly GP is IOS only; the Android version is blocked from being sold in Europe

I think they just don’t want to have the cost of porting the database when most app devs agree the premium is in iDevices. My friends with tech startups (they haven’t gotten big yet though so might be wrong!) all agree that much better to focus all resources on iOS rather than Android, as they capture most of the high / medium range of the market (willing to spend money on apps), and people more likely to try new things (strange as iOS seems less “exotic” as it’s so standardized / blocked), and that have more media presence.
I wouldn’t be surprised if in aviation 80% of the tables are Apple. I would think that their owners are less price sensitive and more prone of just buying something without doing a ton of comparison so it’s more appealing to sell to them.
In Garmin’s position (I wish!), I would probably focus all my efforts on the iOS stuff, getting nice features, making people that my software is great, and THEN port to the other system(s).

Blueline – it’s Jepp plates they have introduced, they previously had govt plates.

Peter – you need a seat license from Jepp. Oftentimes people buy say 5 seat licences as part of a pack. JeppFD would use one, Garmin Pilot the next one.

@Noe
In the IFR pilot community the iPad has a market share of +80 percent, I think. I am thinking about making an Android version of my checklist app (smartCHECK), but it probably makes no sense. I am losing enough money with iOS only …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 21 Jul 15:53

you need a seat license from Jepp

How exactly is this implemented? Is it a download into the device running GP, or does GP pick up the data from an existing Jeppview installation?

BTW, GP is on android in the USA. Why they don’t do it in Europe is the real Q; not whether IOS outsells android or whatever…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message