Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

I actually admire your resistance to an iPad.

My Q was nothing to do with any alleged resistance to an Ipad. I have an Ipad but not the latest model.

It is much easier to flight plan on a PC with a decent big screen, pointing device, etc. That is how I plan a flight. I do as much as possible back home and leave the house with a really good package. It is also much quicker to shoot off emails for PNR/PPR/GAR/etc from a PC.

Tablets are fiddly compared to a PC. That is why, when you see the GP or FF being demoed on an exhibition stand, they always use the most gigantic Ipad that exists and which nobody is likely to use in the cockpit. In a TB20 cockpit the only sort of tablet I could use would be the Ipad Mini, or one of the various android devices (I have for a long time been flying with a Samsung T705 which has a nice aspect ratio which Apple never did).

Also Foreflight does have a PC version (of adequate functionality, albeit with some funny stuff) so my Q was perfectly reasonable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know Peter, it was really meant as a very gentle rib, hard to do on a forum !

EGTF, LFTF

I know

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For VFR flying SkyDemon is the cat’s meow. I have never had a problem with either airspace or restricted area depictions with them, flying all over Europe. Nevertheless, I am trying to migrate to Garmin pilot because of planned avionics upgrades/compatibility and for future IFR use.

I have subscriptions to German and Italian charts through SkyDemon. Do I need to buy the same charts all over again for Pilot? Frankly, I prefer the SkyDemon way of setting up flight plans and their visual representations, but it may be because I’m just not used enough to Pilot.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Aug 16:21
Tököl LHTL

Peter wrote:

Then you discover that a lot, possibly most, VFR GA in Europe flies with android tablets – because they can be found for a lot less money than IOS ones
Of all my pilot mates, UL and certified combined, I don’t know a single one who runs an Android tablet. The last one upgraded to an iPad 1.5yrs ago.
ESMK, Sweden

My FTO is also advising to switch to ipad. Not namely, but they are switching to all numerical briefing and all materials and tools they have are done by people using Ipad.
For IFR, of course the goal of using GP is to have en-route and approach charts. SD is showing en-route low IFR maps, but you have to take some papers for arrivals and approaches. And by the time I was using GP, they are not providing part-cat performances and fuel calculation, which GP does, so far I remember.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

SD is showing en-route low IFR maps, but you have to take some papers for arrivals and approaches.

SD shows all IFR charts from the AIP – arrival, approach, departure etc. However, because of the non-standard way French AIS submits information to EAD, it is more tricky to find French charts in SD — but they are there!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Long time since I used GP. Airspace is missing (TMAs, FIRs etc.). I’ve been through “all” the settings, but no luck. Anyone know?

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

You have been through the map settings, right? They are not in “Settings” page, but on the map page.

Last Edited by lionel at 07 Oct 14:03
ELLX

Seems like the issue was due to dated navdata. Popped up again when I downloaded latest db update.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG
Sign in to add your message