Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

The lack of a UK Class A depiction is worrying, since this issue has been well known “for ever”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I can see, they’ll use AIP approach plates.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Does anyone know the difference between the basic and full coverage options?

Is this product any good for Europe, currently?

Administrator

Yes and no. Some of the airfield info is incomplete (not frequencies or runways) and I wouldn’t use the IFR plates as some AIP info is not there. But as a moving map navigation/weather/backup AHARS/ADS-B in tool it works well particularly if coupled to the GDL39.

EGTK Oxford

How is the GDL39 connection done, to a handheld device?

Administrator

Nothing has changed since launch really. I personally don’t think it’s fit for purpose at present, certainly not for VFR.

The vector charts are so incomplete that they are effectively unsafe, and there is no consistent Europe wide add on coverage you can buy.

The situation in the UK is particularly bizarre in that there is still no UK charting that you can load on the device – not even the trusty CAA charts…

It doesn’t do NOTAMs, and all the funky weather stuff you see in the screen shots is US only because it relies on UAT.

It does control the Garmin VIRB camera and links to your Garmin D2 watch though, so that’s great… ;)

How is the GDL39 connection done, to a handheld device?

Bluetooth

Steve, that is perhaps a little harsh. You can get all the weather on the ground via Wifi or whatever. I haven’t seen big problems with the vector charts but to be fair am using them at high altitude. There is an option to buy charts – don’t know if that extends to CAA I don’t buy them as I have Jepp. I think we all agree it isn’t yet Skydemon but I still have big hopes for it.

EGTK Oxford

Sure, I meant the live weather. I was just pointing out that the many screen shots you see of GP (including on the European App Store!) are not realistic because that feature is unavailable.

I promise you that it’s no good for VFR though, and I stand by that. The charting is all but non-existent. It works great in the US because of the free access to sectionals. In Europe, it’s hopeless. There’s barely any more information on there than there is on a GNS430.

There is, quite literally, no way you could plan and execute a VFR flight with it and be sure you weren’t doing something naughty.

I don’t doubt it has potential, but it just isn’t ready.

Sign in to add your message