Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GNS/GTN database costs and coverage discussion (merged)

Snoopy wrote:

Now, what hardware do I need to get the 28 day cycle Jepp Navdata to my GNS530?
Google suggests some Jepp Hardware (cardreader) is required for Jepp data or a Garmin cardreader is required when buying from Garmim. It is also mentioned (fwiw) that the GNS units do not have a „unit id“ so data can be „shared“ for multiple units.

You need the Jeppesen Skybound G2 card reader. And quite conveniently a spare card, so you can do the update in your office and just swap the cards.

As this is a legacy 530, this means the smaller green label card also used for the GNS430 non waas. Quite possibly some people have one of those sitting around doing nothing these days. I had some and sold them on via a post here I believe.

Anyone reading and having some laying around, I think Snoopy here might be a taker :)

Be careful with the coverage as Central Europe does not include some countries in your nearer neighbourhood (Serbia, Bulgaria for instance) which may be places you want to include. I’d go for the International coverage instead.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 25 Mar 18:27
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There are two basic hardware levels in the non-waas GNS navigators, as explained in this thread

The older one uses 4Mb datacards of which I have unused stock. Drop me a pm and will make one of those available to you if you need it.

The newer one (you can tell because they have a terrain nav page) uses 8Mb datacards.

The database should be tailored to your datacard size and Jeep should offer 4Mb and 8Mb options …was there not such option when you tried to purchase?

PS: no it is not an error, it is not Gb, it is indeed Mb, probably worthy of this thread

Last Edited by Antonio at 25 Mar 20:15
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Pirho wrote:

You’ll be looking for a Jepp Skybound G2 card reader. You may also want an extra data card

Mooney_Driver wrote:

You need the Jeppesen Skybound G2 card reader. And quite conveniently a spare card

Thank you. A very kind pilot (member here as well) is loaning me his G2. I’ll actually get it sent from another pilot (also on here) who had it loaned until now but upgraded his avionics ;). Small world! Another very kind pilot is loaning me his bad elf wombat, apparently I can then update NAV DB via iphone.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As this is a legacy 530, this means the smaller green label card also used for the GNS430 non waas. Quite possibly some people have one of those sitting around doing nothing these days. I had some and sold them on via a post here I believe.

Yes, anyone have a spare card for sale, please let me know!

Anyone reading and having some laying around, I think Snoopy here might be a taker :)

You bet ;)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Be careful with the coverage as Central Europe does not include some countries in your nearer neighbourhood (Serbia, Bulgaria for instance) which may be places you want to include. I’d go for the International coverage instead.

Antonio wrote:

The older one uses 4Mb datacards of which I have unused stock. Drop me a pm and will make one of those available to you if you need it.

The newer one (you can tell because they have a terrain nav page) uses 8Mb datacards.

The database should be tailored to your datacard size and Jeep should offer 4Mb and 8Mb options …was there not such option when you tried to purchase?

Thank you @Antonio! I’ll check if there is a terrain database asap. I don’t know if these screenshots can reveal it:

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes you do have the terrain-capable hardware and the 8mb card. You have the later GNS530 hardware version with terrain, holds and procedure turn capability with GPSS roll steering output. You should able to integrate all that capability with your autopilot in the future.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks Antonio, that’s great to hear!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 26 Mar 20:57
always learning
LO__, Austria

I’m just trying to update my Jepp subscription for the database for my 530W. Jepp support is awful – not surprising since they are owned by Boeing. I tried calling them (used to be excellent pre-B) – forecast 108 minute wait! I tried the chat, which after 10 minutes still hadn’t advanced me from #5 in the queue.

So… I guess others are doing this too. It looks as though I want the International Navdata package, DGRW7353, which costs $562/year. Is this what other people are doing?

Also I notice that my existing details list a 400, not a 500. I’m guessing that these are compatible, but does anyone actually know?

Thanks…

LFMD, France

400/500 – same database. Centra Europe is the most popular.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I use „International“ for a GNS530.
With -15% AOPA discount it’s around 450€/year.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hello

I only found a 10% discount for aopa members, only valid until august 31st. Where can I found this 15% discount ?

LFBZ, France

jeff64 wrote:

Where can I found this 15% discount ?

Just email Jepp and they will take 15% off.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message