Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GNS/GTN database costs and coverage discussion (merged)

I am about to purchase a navdata update for a Garmin GNS430. I am looking at buying the update that is called "Garmin GNS 400 / 500 Series - NON-WAAS Navdata Central Europe"

Does anyone know which countries that are included in the Central Europe navdata?

Jeppdirect has this picture for the Central Europe navdata coverage area

and mentions that it covers "Central Europe, including Greenland, Iceland and North Africa".

This coverage area seems to be much larger compared to the Jeppview Central Europe coverage area.

Is the coverage area for Central Europe navdata different compared to Jeppview Central Europe? And if it is, should I buy the Internation navdata if I want "all of Europe" coverage?

ESTL

I called Jeppesen to figure out the coverage area. After a lot of button pushing and walking through voice menues I got to talk to a real person. After asking what she could do for me she immediately transfered me back to the top of the voice menue system... After some more button pushing the call was dropped...

The second time calling I was more successfull and actually managed to talk to someone. That person did not know the answer but he said that he will email me the list of countries.

ESTL

This topic came up here recently.

It was suggested that, in the context of a GNS or GTN subscription, Jeppesen's "Central Europe" is actually just the "west of the Iron Curtain" part of Europe, plus the former East Germany and some other bits.

That is indeed how Jepp package Jeppview - their approach plate (terminal chart) product, which comes in PC, Ipad and MFD versions.

I did some digging on the Jepp and Garmin sites, and it's suprisingly hard to get the answer. But by simple elimination of the options, it looks like the answer is the same as it is with every other common IFR GPS i.e. you do get all of Europe.

I have no idea why they call it "Central" Europe because that suggests some bits may be missing. Maybe they think Turkey or places like the Ukraine are Europe but don't include them? The clue might be here which shows Ukraine as Europe.

Jeppview is completely different and what we call "Europe" is available in various chunks, with all of "Europe" (excluding former USSR) being about €2000/year.

A GNS430 database is of the order of €400-500/year, for the full 13 AIRAC cycles.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Even after reading that thread I still do not feel comfortable enough to know which navdata that I should buy.

Is it so that the Jeppview Central Europe and the Jeppesen Navdata Central Europe have different coverage areas, which the converage maps supplied by Jeppesen suggest?

Or, is the term "Central Europe" uniquely defined whitin Jeppesen and the two products have the same coverage area? That would also mean that the Jeppesen image that shows the coverage area for the navdata is wrong.

Maybe someone that has a GNSx30 with Central Europe navdata could check if they have like airport info for Sweden (ES), Poland (EP) and the Czech Republic (LK)?

ESTL

A GNS430 database is of the order of €400-500/year, for the full 13 AIRAC cycles.

Actually, it's €275 (without VAT).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Maybe someone that has a GNSx30 with Central Europe navdata could check if they have like airport info for Sweden (ES), Poland (EP) and the Czech Republic (LK)?

I sent question to Jeppesen support few minutes ago, I'll post their reply once received.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Is it so that the Jeppview Central Europe and the Jeppesen Navdata Central Europe have different coverage areas, which the converage maps supplied by Jeppesen suggest?

I think so.

I've never heard of anybody with a GNS box not having database coverage flying to any part of Europe that say UK pilots might fly to.

Jeppview marketing, and GPS database marketing, have always been separate. Jeppview is a really expensive product which is priced in small quanta e.g. you can buy just the UK, for ~ €200 depending on the delivery method etc.

Historically, Garmin had to be competitive with e.g. the KLN94 whose "Atlantic" database covers a huge area.

Sorry, Emir, I should have said US$ That is what the KLN94 costs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The database support for Central Europe is $410 USD. It is $515 USD for the entire world minus the Americas.

KUZA, United States

Here's the answer I got from Jepessen:

"Jeppesen provides a file to Garmin every 28 days. This file contains worldwide data. Garmin then runs this through their software and determines what is included for each of their coverages. ie, what information will be the Central Europe coverage for the 400/500 series, what information will be in the International subscription for the G1000, etc. They then provide these individual files formatted for each avionics back to Jeppesen and we then post them to be available in JSUM.

We have no way to know what is available by country for each coverage. I do believe the Central Europe coverage is broken down by latitude/longitude and not by whole countries as it will contain parts of Northern Africa, Western Europe, etc. Therefore, it is Garmin that can tell you what can be expected in your subscription and not Jeppesen. We do not control the data that is available for each download."

So, I'm addressing Garmin to get exact answer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That looks like a " i can't be bothered to check" reply as we buy our navdata directly from Jeppesen for our Garmin GTN.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)
87 Posts
Sign in to add your message