Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extra 400 upgrade project - call for advice

chrisparker – thanks for your advice. Very wise keeping the GTX330 visible.
I have sold both my GNS’s and in any case one of the goals is to reduce the likelihood that something goes wrong so I wanted these 12 year old avionics out. If the GTN fails I still have The FlightSteram 210 – a certified WAAS GPS and AHRS displaying on the iPad pro – more than enough for an emergency…
You have a good point about audio panel, but I can’t fix this anymore and must live with the risk. I’ll carry a portable radio/VOR/ILS anyway.

I see your plane is G-reg, but what you did for instrument lighting is interesting. How did you get this change approved?
Not sure if my handful of remaining “round” instruments will accept internal lighting but we must also light two rows of switches plus LDG and flaps and presently this si done by a horrible stripe of cheap looking plastic. ( said cheap looking!)

Peter thank you. I am (as expected) very confused now. I tried to read the FAA doc AC43-13-2B but it says nothing meaningful about instruments. More digging for the panel stuff. I will take a look at your project link as well.
The Garmin STC explicitly says that the physical changes to the panel are NOT covered and adequate documentation should be produced if the panel is redone – I don’t know how to do that other than a 337?

So the answers to my 5 question quiz above now look like

1) relocating backup instruments (from original 6 pack) to make room for G500
Covered by STC paperwork. OK. Attitude on top. need to find documentation that the mechanical work is not 337 matter.

2) removing annunciators rendered obsolete by the presence of the G500 which is installed under STC
OK.per STC

3) moving an annunciator group higher to make room, with visibility from pilot seat not materially different
Probably OK (if I can use G500 STC as a justification)

4) moving a switch from its original location to another one
OK if justified by G500 or GTN750 install. Not sure if unrelated to G500 install.

5) removing instrument panel parts that have become useless as a result of the panel upgrade, when said parts played no structural role apart from carrying the instruments and switches that were (re) moved
Need more digging

Can someone recommend a pragmatic A&P IA that will sign off my panel without giving me hell or taking a significant % of the budget?

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 26 Feb 06:09
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

@Flyingfish wrote:

Can someone recommend a pragmatic A&P IA that will sign off my panel without giving me hell or taking a significant % of the budget?

PM me

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Flyingfish wrote:

I’ll carry a portable radio/VOR/ILS anyway.

If you do that, install a deviation to your underbelly antenna (usually COM1) on your panel so you can connect your handheld to it. The inflight range of handhelds is very limited; this helps.

The EDM700 is obviously a good piece of kit, but as mentioned by Peter, it’s not certified as primary so you have to keep your old gauges. You may want to look at the CGR30P instead. I’ve seen it installed and it’s a very neat piece of kit. If you want some measure of redundancy, you can install a CGR30C as well. And if I’m not mistaken you can have a CO2 alert on these (or on their larger cousin the MVP-50; I’m less of a fan of the design of that one, looks very Windows 3.0 or GNS, rather than GTN).

EGTF, LFTF

Michael : wilco
Denopa: We have a JPI EDM 930 primary but thanks anyway

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I am just installing a CGR30P in my Super Cub project, specifically because it’s certified as a primary instrument and replaces the taco, and oil press/temp instruments plus adds loads more.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

AC43-13 has some great data on repairs and installations and is normally used as approved data to support the 337 which is raised and certified by the FAA repair station or IA who is signing off the modification. However, if the G500 STC contains specific limitations on what’s covered and the installer can’t demonstrate that the extra work is properly addressed by AC43 -13, then at that point I would suggest an 8110-3 is appropriate. Best course of action is to ask your repair station or IA – after all, they’re taking responsibility for signing it off.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Flyingfish wrote:

I see your plane is G-reg, but what you did for instrument lighting is interesting. How did you get this change approved?

The lighting is approved – I can get details from my engineers if you wish.

At the end of my upgrade I had a spare comm antenna so I also added a BNC connector in my panel for a hand-held.

You can have a lot of fun with annunciators!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

chrisparker your annunciators look way cool!

I will study more documentation and also discuss with A&P IA . Will post again here. Thank you all, you helped me “unstall” this!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I am having serious trouble with a uk based contractor: fraud and blackmail to extract more money than agreed upon and some lousy work to boot.
Anyone on this forum willing to help me examine my legal options? Thanks.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Are you in the US? If you read the contract between you and the contractor, under which law and in which jurisdiction are contractual disputes to be settled? English law and English courts? Is there a formal dispute resolution process set out in the contract? Arbitration perhaps, or expert determination? You need to get all that straight at the outset. But do you really want to go legal at this stage? That’s the last option, as I’m sure you know.

I am the head of Litigation Support at a top-50 accounting firm in the UK. I advise people involved in complex disputes, in conjunction with lawyers, and sometimes give expert opinions on various aspects of cases. I’d be happy to chat things through with you on the phone if you wanted, but if it were me, my first port of call would be an expert aviation / avionics engineer so as to receive a sound un-biassed opinion on whether you have been badly dealt with or have simply hit unfortunate circumstances. Avoiding litigation if at all possible would be high on my list of how to proceed, albeit that it’s sometimes a necessary evil.

Good luck.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message