Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KSN770 (also installing a used GNS430)

The GNS430 MM is referenced in this thread

It is also readily found online, along with manuals for loads of other stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

wigglyamp wrote:

The older GNS430 (28V) is no longer repairable. However, they are not scrap if they fail, as Garmin offer a fixed-price upgrade to a 430W (dual voltage).
Have you any idea about the upgrade cost? Is the 430W plug compatible with the 430? (Except for the additional antenna, of course.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“Have you any idea about the upgrade cost? Is the 430W plug compatible with the 430? (Except for the additional antenna, of course.)”

Yes it’s totally compatible with existing wiring.
I think the upgrade was $3000 last time I was involved in getting one done.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Garmin is the only option??? I know that there are several people in Europe who are down on Avidyne, and they have been slow with EASA approvals. I operate N-reg and was an early adopter of their IFD line of GPS/NAV/COM units and am quite positive about them. Per info from AERO, it seems that EASA cert is imminent.

As an early IFD adopter I did have some teething problems but those now seem resolved and I’m very enthusiastic about the functionality and intuitiveness. Their customer service is very good and they are obviously working very hard to ensure that the products perform as expected. My IFD540 and AXP340 have been installed for just over a year.

In any case, I completely disagree with the previous statements that Garmin is the only choice, unless the work absolutely needs to be done within the next month or so (in the case of EASA-reg). N-reg installation of the IFD540 has been available for about 21 months. They say that thousands of these units are now installed. There are a couple threads on this forum about the equipment.

I suggest that anyone in the market for new generation avionics take a look at their corporate forum to get a no-holds-barred customer view of the products. I can’t imagine this type of open exchange being allowed by Garmin, and give Avidyne a lot of credit for being so open with the user community. Any negative comments towards Avidyne need to be taken in that context.

Consider me a happy customer, very pleased with my choice. I currently have the following installed in my C172: IFD540/IFD440/AXP340. The latter includes ADS-B activation.

http://www.avidynelive.com

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message