Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Any update about theses companies?
I’am looking for a place in northern France to get my cessna 76cuft bottle tested. @Aviathor ? @Michael ?

Caen LFRK, France

I would recommend CEMG near Paris in Meaux.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Does anyone have a UK contact for cylinder testing, especially composite cylinders?

The link in post #10 is now dead – including the base URL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This guy is advertising oxygen tank refill and inspection on gliding forums.
I haven’t used him for oxygen (no oxygen system) but I have for parachute repack (his other business)

Tim Moran
T.P.F. Parachute Services

Tel: 01594 530230
Mobile: 07785 352306
parachuteservices (at) hotmail.co.uk

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Has anyone ever had an oxygen cylinder fail its periodic test, and why?

Administrator

The most common reason is the cylinder has passed it’s service life. For composite cylinders, that’s 15 years.

Of course, one should not even bother with a hydro test if without knowing the manu date and applicable service life .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Ok but then you don’t do a test. You just look at the stamp. Only a mug would take an expired cylinder for a test…

What I was getting at is whether there are any cases of them splitting on test.

I bet there aren’t since they are all 3000psi cylinders, red lined at 2200psi.

A real life limit would be due to corrosion, or stress cycles and that seems unlikely since there are so few cycles and the material is way below its yield stress.

Administrator

Should and expired cylinder fail a test and if so, why?
What is the legal / insurance validity of na expiration date?

Peter wrote:

A real life limit would be due to corrosion, or stress cycles and that seems unlikely since there are so few cycles and the material is way below its yield stress.

That’s correct. I once had my aluminum scuba tank failed test but it’s hardly comparable with aviation (much more cycles, pumping up over rated pressure, salt water).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Oxygen requirements for private flights (EASA)

I know the requirements on supplementary oxygen for commercial flights:

• Cockpit crew: full flight time above 10,000ft
  • Cabin crew: flight time – 30 min between 10,000ft and 13,000ft; full flight time above 13,000ft
  • PAX: 10% PAX, flight time – 30 min between 10,000ft and 13,000ft; 100% PAX, full flight time above 13,000ft

But somehow I cannot find the oxygen requirements for private flights. I remember 30 minutes between 10,000ft and 13,000ft don’t require oxygen for the pilot but I don’t remember anything about higher levels and PAX requirements. Currently PAX is the one I need but I am interested to know all of them again. Anyone has the numbers and/or document that describes them?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message