Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

So I am sitting here in the garden at this moment (looking at the blue sky) and a Mooney has just (acccording to FR24) flown over at F100.

Presumably he is not using oxygen and thats why he is at this level.

I was reading elsewhere on oxygen concentrators, where the machine removes the nitrogen from the air.

If the same pilot used one of these what altitude would he be able to fly maintaining the same blood oxygen level.

This would save the hassle etc of having oxgen on board ?

Oxygen generator/concentrator thread

A few people seem to use them and they do work. Well, the ones designed for aviation do; most of the stuff on the market is for people with lung/heart conditions who are on oxygen all or most of the time.

I used to know one SR22 owner with the Sequal one, who I believe had a special power connector installed in the plane (the unit draws a lot of current) but he has dropped down to the UL scene and his email has gone dead. There is some funny stuff in the above thread; I believe a number of the Ebay ones were “acquired” from a US military hospital somewhere around Italy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

quatrelle wrote:

I was reading elsewhere on oxygen concentrators, where the machine removes the nitrogen from the air.

This would save the hassle etc of having oxgen on board ?

We have a thread on this https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenance-avionics/327-oxygen-generators

ELLX

This is the regulator on the cylinder in work. What would I need to buy if I wanted to fill an aviation oxygen cylinder from it?

EIMH, Ireland

You can get a hose made up from the firm listed here

Sub-Aqua Products (UK) Ltd
Unit 8 Lycroft Farm Industrial Park
Park Lane
Upper Swanmore
Southampton
SO32 2QQ
UK

tel +44 1489 878055
fax +44 1489 878002

I am not 100% sure but it looks just like the one I have at home. Also you are not far from the UK… so the BOC fitting is likely.

Administrator

Yep it’s a BOC cylinder. Should have included that detail! Thanks for the contact.

EIMH, Ireland

Question for those of you flying with the O2D2 EDS system from Mountain High. At FL150 (or there about) do you find that D10 setting with standard cannulas (non flare tip) is sufficient to deliver 90+ pulse oximeter readings?

I have found that F2/F3 provides better levels for me but realise this consumes substantially more oxygen….

EGSX

TimR wrote:

D10 setting with standard cannulas (non flare tip) is sufficient to deliver 90+ pulse oximeter readings?

D10 at 160 yes
D5 at 180 (didn’t test D10) too

I find the first (the standard) setting is fine to FL200, for ~95%, but it does require very deliberate breathing anywhere near that level. The other settings are obviously better.

Administrator

The oxisave canals I’m familiar with are manufacturer limited to FL180. After that it’s a mask.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message