Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

how is the oxyarm different from the mountain high ez-breathe?

It is the same. When you buy the EZ-breathe you are being the oxyarm, but already with the right tubing for the O2D2 pulse regulator.

EDLE, Netherlands

Does the oxyarm/ez-breathe use more oxygen than the cannula when using the O2D2

It doesn't deliver more or less oxygen, but the O2 level in your blood might be a little lower. It might result in you setting the O2D2 into the face mask option F5 earlier. But, the oxyarm also sticks into your nose.

EDLE, Netherlands

The oxyarm seems like a worthwhile thing to try for passengers who don't like cannulas stuck up their nose.

I don't mind cannulas at all - longest flight maybe 7.5hrs - and forget about them immediately. However, the tube leading away from the cannula does keep getting caught on the back of the seat, so something which attaches it to the headset is not a bad idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well ... if you use the O2D2, go to the MH website and try one of those Oxyarms out.

EDLE, Netherlands

I am going to try and find a system to rent for a week or so before buying, just to make sure that I and the a/c are happy at those levels, since owning the Seneca I have flown mainly at FL100.

Rob, I was also wondering if O2 would be worth the hassle. I bought my O2D2 system earlier this year, right after passing the IR exam. I'm very happy with it, and I fly all my IFR trips on O2 levels. I use the OGIMET website, together with the IR sat images to determine whether I can fly in VMC on Top. Since I don't have any anti-icing equipment, I cancel a flight if looks like I can't outclimb the weather. This strategy has worked out quite well. The only drawback is that I don't make much IMC time. The enroute phase is always sunshine and blue sky, with a cloudscape below :-)

The cannulas with the O2D2 regulator is comfortable. I've flown with quite some (aviation interested) people, and they agree on that. Just stick the cannula up your nose, switch the unit on and forget about it...

What's the service ceiling of your aircraft? Mine has a Demonstrated Operating Altitude of 16400ft. During some test flights I've taken it up to FL200, but that's because the turbo diesel performs better than book performance. I file my routes on FL140, leaving some climb power to get higher if needed.

I use D5 setting on the MH up to FL190. Not been higher yet. My oxygen saturation is around 93%. I've got no issues with the cannulas. I can recommend O2D2. Oxyarm won't work with my Phonak headset.

United Kingdom

I use the OGIMET website, together with the IR sat images to determine whether I can fly in VMC on Top. Since I don't have any anti-icing equipment, I cancel a flight if looks like I can't outclimb the weather. This strategy has worked out quite well. The only drawback is that I don't make much IMC time. The enroute phase is always sunshine and blue sky, with a cloudscape below :-)

DonÄt worry. That is really the only way when flying (non-fully deiced, non WX-radar) single-engine piston aircraft. All else is risky, dodgy and at the very least hugely uncomfortable (IMHO).

Re the oxygen, let me be honest: I don't really like it much, so I only use it when I need to for weather avoidance or terrain (Alps), even though I am aware that flying at, say FL150 gives some nice NMPG improvements over the usual FL100/FL110 I usually fly at in the NA SR22. I sure could invest in O2D2+oxyarms, but I haven't got around that, so far.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Do you find the Ogimet site to be accurate.

Sign in to add your message