Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GTX345 ADS-B Transponder

“It will be mandatory for flights above North Sea (at least in Dutch Airspace) for both VFR and IFR below 3000 Ft from July 1st.”

Do you have a reference for this – it’s a considerable deviation from the EASA mandate and SERA.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Jesse wrote:

For more advanced aircraft, >5700 kg > 250 Kts ADS-B out is allready implemented.

It isn’t.

The European Commission recently announced a delay in the deadline for aircraft operators to outfit their aircraft with ADS-B Out equipment. The original compliance dates to operate in European ADS-B airspace were Jan. 8, 2015 for new aircraft and Dec. 7, 2017 for aircraft needing retrofit installations. The new compliance dates are June 8, 2016 for new aircraft and June 7, 2020 for aircraft needing retrofits.

EGTK Oxford

wigglyamp wrote:

Do you have a reference for this – it’s a considerable deviation from the EASA mandate and SERA.

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/2015-12-24-AIRAC/eAIP/html/eAIC/EH-eAIC-2015-04-A-en-GB.html

Not the best written bulletin if you ask me. Upon request they confirmed it was for all aircraft, VFR / IFR at or below 3000 Ft.

Amazed by this as well.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

JasonC wrote:

The original compliance dates to operate in European ADS-B airspace were Jan. 8, 2015 for new aircraft and Dec. 7, 2017 for aircraft needing retrofit installations. The new compliance dates are June 8, 2016 for new aircraft and June 7, 2020 for aircraft needing retrofits.

Correct, my mistake. Didn’t recall this delay.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Frankly with the amount of traffic in Europe its nothing but BS. There are times Im the only one on freq besides the airliners on depart and approach. Never opposing, over taking or crossing traffic.

I loved my TIS but there I had traffic all over (everywhere) and still eyeballs were required.

I wonder with all this ADSB stuff if we will be able to fly free flight without big brothers interference. Im sure they will be too busy to point out Heavy precip.

KHTO, LHTL

For this North Sea part, it seems that there are ADS-B receivers feeding data to ATC installed at oil rigs, so that they have a better low level coverage than is possible by radar.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I have just got a mailshot from a big US avionics shop, listing the GTX345 as “from $6190 installed”. I thought this was rather high (especially for the USA). Clicking on the ad shows this

I wonder what the installation involves. Presumably you need the extra pricey WAAS/EGNOS GPS antenna, and somewhere to put it which may not be trivial on many planes. Then, can you re-use a standard Mode C/S transponder antenna, and wiring, and the splitter which feeds the transponder signal to a TAS6xx box?

But assuming you have a WAAS/EGNOS GPS anyway (which you must for LPV) then what does the GTX345 give you which you would not get with say a GTX330 with the latest firmware? You would save the extra GPS antenna for a start.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GTX 345 gives you ADSB in and out, and both TIS-A and TIS-B. GTX330 only gives you ADS-B out (if you have the Extended Squitter version) and access to TIS-A (which is going to be discontinued).

Wow. 6k just for the transponder.

Almost nobody will retrofit that. GA flyers will just avoid those ADSBMZs…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is there TIS in Europe?

Also, what is the precise applicability of ADS-B-IN? You can display ADS-B radiating traffic (which in GA is growing from zero to “almost nobody”) but only on a compatible display device. Will it get merged with the display on an Avidyne TAS605 box?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message