Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing Aircraft category types on a Garmin GNS430

Does anyone know how to configure the GNS430 to display procedural approaches as CAT A or B, instead of the default setting which is CAT C,D ?

I flew some holds and ILS approaches at SouthEnd today and decided to use the PROC feature on the GNS430, but the ILS approach it displayed was for CAT C,D aircraft, which mine isnt. I guess it wouldnt hurt to fly the CAT C,D procedure (or would it ?), or just fly the CAT A,B approach and not follow the magenta line, but for convenience it would be handy for the GNS430 to be setup for the aircraft it is installed in. I couldnt find any configurable options in the user guide, so wondered if anyone had managed to get theirs changed?

You can enter the internal config menu by pressing ENTER while you turn on the unit.

The GNS430 IM is fairly easy to find on google - example.

I have a huge collection of avionics manuals myself

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you achimha and Peter. I hadnt looked for the installation manual, just the user guide.I shall have a read :-)

There isn't a setting to specify the aircraft Category in the GNS430. If a procedure has the same name as another and the difference isn't part of the approach name, such as ILS RWY 14 Y and ILS RWY Z, then Garmin has to choose which procedure to include. At least in the US, an aircraft is specified as being in a single category, but must use a higher category of minimums if flown at a speed above its category, so knowing what category an aircraft belongs to isn't definitive as to which category must be used. My Bonanza is Category A, but I normally fly the Category B minimums, occasionally even Category C.

KUZA, United States

I do very vaguely recall reading about this somewhere, along the lines of the GNS box displaying the "wrong" approach.

The problem, I guess, is that the GPS has no way of knowing the aircraft performance.

However, how well are European procedures depicted in the GNS430? I know the ones in the KLN94 are mostly rubbish, generally depicted only partially and with arcs rarely shown - for European procedures, anyway.

That's why I tend to fly procedures (e.g. holds, or the full procedural approaches where you fly beacon-outbound first) using the OBS mode of the GPS, by reference to the plate, and not using any depiction of the procedure in the GPS.

Administrator

Well the GTN650 flies holds, arcs etc very well. But I agree, none of them have an aircraft category setting. I think they all have one category which is usually Cat D unless the approaches are differentiated by letter etc.

EGTK Oxford

However, how well are European procedures depicted in the GNS430? I know the ones in the KLN94 are mostly rubbish, generally depicted only partially and with arcs rarely shown - for European procedures, anyway.

Very well I'd say. The only exception is that the GNS430W usually does not know how to leave a fix (alignment turn), it will try a direct intercept of the next leg. Holds, arcs etc. are all in the database as long as they are mandatory part of the arrival/approach. All other holds are not in the database and have to be flown manually/via OBS mode.

However, how well are European procedures depicted in the GNS430?

Not that I've flown hundreds of them but in my experience (all Croatian airports all procedures, Slovenain, Bosnian and Serbian as well, some Austria, some Italy) they are correct.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I got this to post here from NCYankee:

I tried it on both the GTN750 and GNS530W trainers. I don't have database for GNS430, but assume it is the same. There are two transitions, both starting at SND, the first one uses the Category A and B transition, the second one uses the Category C and D transition.

Administrator
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message