Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

JnsV wrote:

I think these two systems have very similar goals and can be compared fairly and directly. I personally think that with modern technology it would be very easy to come up with a solution that is both cheaper than either and would provide vastly better functionality.

How about Find-my-iPhone? Doesn’t work very well at sea, but then again nor does an installed ELT.

A little off-topic, but I had to buy an ELT and decided on the Artex 345 (from Adams Aviation)

Half the price of a regular ELT and has GPS built-in.
Specifically made for GA and is TSO’d.

Jesse wrote:

You are free to design such a device. If it would work better and has a better pricing then you would have an excellent product which will sell very well.

It is almost impossible to do so, because there is no SAR support network to really make it work.

Because any (good) dealer will give you background information, and will help you in getting the correct product for you situation, with correct programming and correct registration, such that is a usefull product. Any good dealer will also have equipment to test your equipment, and verifiy that it functions ok, and it is programmed correctly.

I understand that these could be the advantages of using a dealer, but I still don’t see why there devices are not really for sale over the internet.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

AF wrote:

Half the price of a regular ELT and has GPS built-in

It is important to note that this one does not have GPS receiver build in. It has a GPS serial port input and thus should be used with external GPS navigator.

Nothing wrong with that design, but if you don’t hook up a compatible GPS you loose this functionality. On Kannad Integra models you have both input for serial navigator, and build in GPS receiver. With the entegra the unit can be removed and taken from the aircraft.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

JnsV wrote:

It is almost impossible to do so, because there is no SAR support network to really make it work.

Well new ideas have to start somewhere. If you have a good idea, why not try and do something with it.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

JnsV wrote:

I would imagine interfacing with Rescue Coordination Centers is the easy part. AFAIK some satcom providers do it. That is if you use the emergency function of your satphone, it’s handled by their call/ operations center and they coordinate with the appropriate RCC.

Jesse wrote:

this one does not have GPS receiver build in. It has a GPS serial port input and thus should be used with external GPS navigator.

Righto! Thanks for the correction, and sorry I can’t edit my post to correct the error.

From here

which makes ELT’s undesirable which makes Austria’s airspace “to be avoided”.

Interesting that somebody would cripple their flying to such a dramatic extent, to save this expense. A Rotax engine costs some 5 figures… also one day it might save your life.

Do aircraft owners really avoid a whole country or countries, in significant numbers, to save a ~€1000 installation?

Also, what about SERA? Doesn’t that override national regs like this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do aircraft owners really avoid a whole country or countries, in significant numbers, to save a ~€1000 installation?

Of course they do – there are enough examples on this forum where people go to all sorts of lengths to save a few Euros.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 25 Jan 14:30
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

OK, but the real Q I would have is: would they have made that flight at all? Or do they just say they won’t make it because of the ELT (or 8.33 or Mode S etc etc) requirement?

An ELT is obviously more than a few euros but by the time you rule out all the places which need one, which need 8.33, etc… you won’t be doing much flying. Yet, from what I see around me, a lot of these owners are paying 5k-10k on an Annual on a C152 or a PA28-161.

I actually don’t believe people are avoiding real flights they would have made.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message