Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine overhaul / repair shop recommendation

I suggest you check the link.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How long was that engine not in use? I read in a Lycoming publication that up to half a teaspoon of small chips in the oil filter is normal after a one month period of standstill ... Change the oil, have the oil filter cleaned resp. changed (depends on type) and fly. Now check the oil filter element every five hours ... FBOs and engine repair shops are eager to get new jobs - the latter also pay them bonuses!

EDxx, Germany

I used Neil Andrews of AEP in Wokingham, and thought his service was first rate. His work came in on time, on budget and has run faultlessly ever since.

Another vote for Neil at AEP Wokingham. We had our Lycomong O-360 overhauled there, and the cost was about £11,000. The service, the work and the communications with them was exemplary.

The conti TSIO 360 MB powering our Mooney since 1987 probably needs an overhaul next winter. Our maintenance shop has a quote from LOMA in Belgium, but I would like to get some more quotes to compare. Does anyone here have recent experiences or recommendations they’d like to share? I also would like to use the opportunity to install a more comprehensive engine following/management system, because the current factory system is somewhat crude. Would love to hear about your ideas.

EHTE, Netherlands

So on one hand, you are still comfortable with flying it for a full more year. On the other hand, you think that a (full) overhaul is unavoidable. That sounds strange to me.

Are you saying that the engine has not undergone a full overhaul since new in 1987?

Re engine monitors, I think the EDM830 is really nice. Do you have enough space? Mooney panels are always a little scarce on space…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In Germany I can recommend Röder Präzision. Call up Mr Hornbostel and get a quote. In our case with some negotiation it was about the same as LOMA while the other German shops quoted higher. But getting the quote now is not going to help as it will depend on the USD exchange rate. So in one year it will be all different. Second do not choose the shop on price only. Usually there are problems when overhauling an engine. So choose the shop where you feel confortable to work out problems…

http://www.roeder-praezision.com/instandsetzungen-motoren-und-aggregate-ansprechpartner.html

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I would always ship my engine to Barrett Precision in Oklahoma – as detailed here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

i can recommend Nicolson McLaren in the UK maybe sterling exchange rate might be not ideal
i got a very extented warrenty agreed last time i needed overhaul

I never used LOMA but did hear (but this is maybe just foul hangar talks) some had problems with them also on timeframe for overhaul

fly2000

Thank you for you input, I will be looking in to this. Price is definitely not the only consideration.

The 830 will be a tight fit, if it even fits at all. The 700 should fit fine.

It is indeed the original engine and it didn’t require any major work during it’s service life and currrently it is on a ‘on condition’ maintenance programme. It has a mere 1000 hrs on it. I have no problems what so ever to fly with this powerplant for another year, or two if needs be. It runs fine, but it is telling me it is gradually getting older, the way engines do.

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message