Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question re GNS 430/530 flight plan page -How does one change the default starting airport when selecting "create new flight plan"?

Thanks Peter…seems like another dead end. I’ll call a Garmin repair shop I think and ask them if they have any idea…apart from “Send it in and we’ll run a diagnostic (at some considerable cost)”

H

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I cannot possibly believe it is a hardware issue.

Most likely it is something buried deep in the user preferences.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sounds like a wager to me Peter :D I’ll be on the ground at Shoreham tomorrow around 12:30 local if you want to bet a bottle of whiskey on it! (Taking a colleague, and her 14 year old son who wants to be a commercial pilot, for a short flight to EGKA, a quick lunch and a flight back.)…(edit: Oh I have just seen you’ll be in Le Touquet)

FYI, I have a built in GPS in my car that refuses to remember the last real destination and instead shows Wycombe Air Park as the last destination each time I start the car (wishful thinking perhaps) together with other similar “stuck memory” problems. The main dealer has investigated the fault twice, reset all the car’s installation memory, hard re-booted the device and finally concluded it’s hardware – they say that only a swap out will fix the problem.

I hope you’re right about the GNS device….I’m beginning to take this whole GPS stuck memory problem personally!

Last Edited by Howard at 30 Apr 17:58

I will be at LFAT tomorrow. You are welcome to join us

Administrator

LFAT sounds like fun and I hope to join you another time. Tomorrow is all agreed with my passengers and they have a tight schedule.

I don’t have an answer (don’t have a GNS box) but strongly suspect that your dealer’s attempts are the usual case of … in the land of the blind, the one-eye’d man is the king.

Administrator

Try this: press FPL….then press MENU and scroll to DELETE ALL FLIGHTPLANS….

Just a hunch…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Howard wrote:

loonies

same here

I don’t have GNS box any more (I have had it in my TB20) but I would try to find something in setup. Push & hold ENTER while turning on device and go through setup options – maybe you’ll find something related to FPL starting point. I’ll see if I can find anything in installation manual tomorrow.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Howard, have you tried calling the Garmin avionics helpdesk?

EGTK Oxford

The installation set-up pages don’t have anywhere to set a default GPS position. All of the set—up pages relate to system configuration (data formats on different serial sources – both input and output), calibration pages for setting up the OBS resolver and such-like.
What happens if you try and set a Direct-to from your current location? Does it still do this from White Waltham instead of your current location?

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message