Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bootstrapping for additonal HSI or Stormscope

Sorry fellows but this is a very technical one. I was planning to install a Sandel SN3500 in my previous aircraft equipped with a KCS55A .it didn't happen I sold my bird before I could start the project..Things are going to change soon...

I want to re-use this brilliant piece of equipment in a non HSI equipped aircraft but will install also a WX950 Storm-scope I like the WX950 very much as it has the processor and display in one unit..and it has a very good display

This means I would have to purchase a SG102 AHRS and wire it up to the SN3500 This is not complicated through a ARINC429 (te mechanical alignment is a bit more of a challenge I think), however a storm scope requires also a Heading signal XYZ synchro signal and 26VAC reference signal. Looking at the schematics the SG102 outputs a 26 AC signal..what is not clear to me: The SN3500 schematics show peanut 26VAC inverter reference to enable xyz bootstrap output from the SN3500 for a storm scope(a la WX950) however wouldn't it be much cheaper to pull an additional shielded wire from the SG102 26AC reference signal to enable synchro XYZ output? this means with two shielded wires going from the back of the aircraft to the front.. Maybe the schematics where not updated as the sg102 came out later..

Does anybody now if the ACU II from Aspen allows bootstrapping..? I am still hesitating...on what to do...but I am still hesitant with the Aspens (though it seems they have improved a bit) One major advantage of teh Aspens is it's FAA STC'd an as Peter mentioned teh SN3500 would require a field approval ...don't know if this will be an easy exercise on a N aircraft..

I believe Peter is working on something similar..

EBST

Aspen's technical support is very responsive and usually competent. Just shoot them an email.

As a very quick reply, read through this (including the wiring diagrams) and then give Charlie Cranford at Sandel a call (having first emailed him with the details).

The SG102 is a plug-in replacement for a KG102A so that system will give you X/Y heading, and the SG102+SN3500 will give you ARINC429 heading out of the SN3500.

I will be installing the SG102 very soon but it will be done as a plug-replacement of the KG102A, with the MT102 replacing the KMT112 fluxgate, and with the ARINC429 pitch/roll from the SG102 being wired to the SN3500 so enable to reversionary horizon mode of the SN3500.

If you look up the WX950 heading wiring for a KG102A, it should be fairly obvious how this maps onto the SG102 system.

Aspen, I know nothing about, but I would avoid single points of failure. If you can get a heading from further upstream, always go for that. Aspens EFD1000s do pack up; somebody I know is on his 4th one in 3 years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies I will shoot sandel an email. It's only about where to take the 26v/AC reference signal from 1) from an additional peanut small 26V converter DC/AC or 2) to wire it from the SG102 will require only an additional shielded wire on top of the ARINC429 twisted shielded wire..Schematic doesn't include such a set-up...The sn3500 emulates a XYZ synchro signal coming from ARINC429 (ARINC 429 to ARINC 407) however the schematics show an additional DC/AC converter needed . (I think you don't need that with a SG102 set up.as teh SG102 generates also this 26V/AC signal .I will X-check and let you know..

EBST
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message