Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

Ok, first I have to introduce myself:
Reading here for a while, I own a D-reg 172N with a Centurion2.0 (very happy with that), GNS430 non-waas, STEC30, KN63 DME and a KX155; Flying is “light” IFR, I plan on keeping this aircraft (500h left on the engine). Everything is working except the G/S receiver of the KX155, so the KX155 is going to be replaced by a 8,33NavCom in the beginning of 2017; I already have a quote for a GNC-255, which is the way I wanted to go.
Now I have the opportunity to buy a used but very decent GNS530WAAS from a friend who upgraded his avionics – the new installation would be double GNS 530/430, but only one (the 530) WAAS-capable. Panel space is available as I removed the old King ADF, which has almost the bezel size of the 530.
Any thougts on that ?
- is the 530 worth spending the money or is it outdated ?
- any problems with this type of installation (one WAAS and one non-WAAS) ?
(I looked at the new GTN series at AERO this year. I think the 650 has a display, which is way to small; the 750 out of my ballpark.)

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

The GNS530W is an excellent box. Personally, I’d rather have a 530W than a GTN650.

The problem you will encounter is that you will lose crossfill. To my mind, that is a big problem, and would annoy the hell out of me.

In your position, I would take the 530W and upgrade the 430 to a 430W.

Incidentally, PPL/IR have negotiated a very cheap STC to get LPV and PBN on the x30W.

EGKB Biggin Hill

FWIW, I have been flying two 430s for 16 years and I never ever used the crossfill function.

Still, you have another cheap option:

Everything is working except the G/S receiver of the KX155, so the KX155 is going to be replaced by a 8,33NavCom

With all those panel upgrades being done these years, ebay must be bursting eith surplus CDIs for scrap money.

The CDI is bad? Put in a new one and be done!

(Replacing just the CDI does not contravene the ban for replacement of 25Khz radios).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For the last couple of years I got along with only one GNS, so two of them looks a bit like overkill to me – but the screen of the 530 is impressive. As I will need a 8,33-capable radio the KX155 has to go anyway (the CDI works fine). So the two options are:
- One GNS and a new GNC255
or
- Two GNS (530W and 430)
From my starting point I think I won´t miss crossfill a lot.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

Crossfill is one of those things that you may not miss until you use it, then lose it.

To say that in 16 years you haven’t used Crossfill means that you are using it in a way different from my understanding. With Crossfill, I would recommend leaving it on all the time, so Box1 fills Box2 but Box2 does not fill Box1.

That way, you put your route in Box1 and it just populates Box2, such that you can either use Box2 in its default page and get loads more datafields (with no intervention) or you can use Box2 for things like VCalc, while still having the map or default view on Box1, but equally you can program things like DME fix substitution into Box2 without it interfering with Box1.

I don’t really recognise the concept of not using Crossfill…it’s just there.

There’s no doubt that the 530 is a much nicer box than the 430. Once you have it, you will feel like you can breath again!

Last Edited by Timothy at 09 Jun 16:21
EGKB Biggin Hill

Wigglyamp posted the STC details here not long ago. He sells the STC to any installer, not connected with any pilot group

There are other routes in some cases eg TC or others if you are N reg, especially if there is no autopilot connection.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Firstly, get the 530W. That’s a no-brainer as it is possibly one of the best bits of avionics ever created.

Crossfill – a nicety. I tend to use it when I’ve created a FPL and then during flight use box 2 for tactical FPL management. Unlike Timothy, I keep it in manual mode cross filling to box 1 once I have amended the FPL.

All that said, I wouldn’t class it as a deal breaker in the 530W/430 discussion.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 09 Jun 17:11
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Two things.

1. By all means get the 530W. It is a lovely box and has a nice big screen. And of course the 8.33 capability which you need (I reckon you refer to the fact that all radios need to be 8.33 in the near future, a fact which has me shopping as well).

2. The 430 and 530W as far as I know can not fully integrate, for that purpose you’d need to upgrade your 430 to 430W as well. Which might make perfect sense, in order to get the best use out of an excellent system. If you leave your 430 non waas, some of the crossfeed functions do not work. Most people with the setup you are going to have use the 430(W) to display the flight plan in text and modify form and the 530W as a navigation display, which gets crossfilled from the 430(w). So that would make a whole lot of sense and is what I’d do in your position.

I fly with a single 430W at the moment and will need to upgrade my KX155 by the end of this year, so I am looking around for a 2nd 430W as I don’t have the panel space to use a 530W, otherwise I’d go exactly the same way.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Can used avionics be installed without additional paperwork and associated cost?
I thought that it was quite expensive to do the checks to get the necessary papers?

ESTL

Peter wrote:

He sells the STC to any installer, not connected with any pilot group

Yes. What I meant was that PPL/IR negotiated the deal and got the grant to fund it, not that it’s only available to PPL/IR members. Anyone can take advantage of PPL/IR’s efforts.

Sorry if that was ambiguous.

EGKB Biggin Hill
114 Posts
Sign in to add your message