Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

I don’t think that there is any question that the 750 is a better box than the 530. Radio tuning is but one example, I could come up with 20 others.

But that isn’t what we were asked.

The price differential between a used 530 and a new 750 is massive, and the advantages may not outweigh that difference, depending on typical usage.

EGKB Biggin Hill

CD135 wrote:

To make it clear: I´m considering a 530*W*

And as most here say, you can’t really go wrong with that.

I agree. I use the 430W for everything and it works fine with me but for the small screen, which I can deal with but given the choice would opt for a 530W.

As you already have the 430, adding a 530W is the logical choice, in terms of bang for buck. It would be “nice” if you can upgrade the 430 to W at the same time but not imperative.

Jesse here can tell you in detail how the story goes combining a 430 non W with a 530W but the 530W is a very capable box with lots of possibilities.

I’d go for it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

What is the cost to get an EASA Form 1 for the used GNS 530W?
I guess that without a Form 1 the GNS530W cannot be installed?

And can a GNS530W be installed together with a GNS430 without an EASA Major modification?

I would also consider to upgrade the existing GNS430 to a GNS430W at the same time as installing the the GNS530W. Or if not upgrading the GNS430 to 430W at least put in a new GPS antenna – if that is possible – to easily allow a future GNS430W upgrade. Lot’s of the work would anyhow need to be done when putting in the GNS530W GPS antenna.

I would also look into if there is any cost difference for Jeppesen nav-data when having 1 GNS530W and 1 GNS430 compared to having 2 *W units.

ESTL

Can you plug an ABAS 430 into a SBAS aerial?

Obviously the straight GPS element is in there, but does it work like that?

EGKB Biggin Hill

You can afaik plug an Non WAAS unit into a WAAS capable antenna but not the other way around.

Agreed that a a new GTN650 will be more expensive than a used 530W, although with EASA paperwork in place the difference may be less than it looks – probably less than a couple of decent handbags, or a single shelf of lady’s shoes…

Anyway, the OP intends to use this kit for 10 years, by which time the extra cost will be forgotten.

It may sound strange, coming from a Yorkshireman who drives a beaten-up old bushplane, but where avionics are concerned I’d say “buy good stuff and cry only once”.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The STC to install a 530W and have it approved for LPV and PBN, RNP1 is about £230/€300 from memory, so not really a substantial contribution to the overall costs.

And while I think that the 750 is way superior to the 530, I don’t hold the same opinion of the 650.

I would have to think long and hard to choose between 530W and 650 as standalone units even at the same price, but if the 650 cost even a little more than the 530, I’d definitely have the 530.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Jacko wrote:

Anyway, the OP intends to use this kit for 10 years, by which time the extra cost will be forgotten.

If the money is there to stem the additional cost. If not, he might be kicking his butt back and forth for not having done what he could afford.

Old moniker in GA. Someone asks if something affordable is ok, then gets the answer, why don’t you buy the latest gizmo at 4 times the price it is soooooooooooo much better… well, my old answer to that is, I’d rather FLY with what I can afford than sit at the airport fence for ever and watch what I can’t.

Not aimed at you in particular Jacko but that is what I see all the time,particularly when it comes to buying airplanes.

…..also, no-one can quite match anyone else’s stance on spending money and how much a little inconvenience is worth, it is so personal.

All we can do is lay out the facts and the reasons for our opinions and let him choose.

For example, my partner and I have just spent hundreds of thousands on a new aircraft and new avionics, but cannot agree on whether to buy new headsets or a fitted cover.

There’s no accounting for it.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thanks for your opinions !
Some remarks:
I’m truely aware of the fact that I won’t get back the invested money if I’m ever going to sell my aircraft. So every buck spent on upgrades is spent because I want the upgrade. On the other hand it must be affordable and fit the whole picture.
I tend a lot to the 530W, I consider it as a major improvement for my avionics. I think it will fit nicely in the panel next to steam gauges and the 430. As mentioned the moving map display of the 430 is next to useless, so that’s the big improvement for me. I don’t think I will need the dual installation, I will keep the 430 because it’s already there, it works perfectly and I need a second NavCom.
Most of you guys said “Go for it” , there seems to be no no-go.
I requested a quote from my avionics installer (Straubing), let’s see what they call up.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM
Sign in to add your message