Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

@Howard
I use an Ipad with Jeppesen FD, which displays the VFR plates nicely, geo-referenced, ownship position and all.
To display them on the panel-Garmins, only the GTN 750 would do the job – €€€.
I used the Aera795 as well, with Chartview it can do that as well. But in my opinion the display of the Ipad is so much better, This Ipad is especially dedicated to aviation, no other apps, I have it permanently mounted in the cockpit below the glareshield and never had problems with overheating or sunlight readability. I don´t like displays on the yoke.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

The dual GNS factory install (certified under the factory Type Certificate and therefore installable with just a logbook entry) has a specific airframe serial number range. Many pre-GT owners found this out…. Also it is only for 430 and 530 boxes, not AFAIK 430W/530W boxes.

Broken promises are common. Buy nothing on the basis of a promise. Or the promise could be silly-expensive eg ADS B IN for my TAS605… a few k. Garmin do this too, though less often.

Avidyne used to do nice VFR charts on their MFDs but MFDs are not fashionable now However many thousands remain installed so I don’t suppose Avidyne are going to pull the plug on database support (it’s a nice revenue stream too). What I don’t know is what Avidyne have done about their VFR charts which were the Jepp ones which got dropped by Jepp in 2013.

1 year when you create a myavidyne account

Where is the value to Avidyne?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“I have already ordered a GNC-255 to fulfill the requirement of a second 8,33radio”

Are you sure that two 8.33 radios are needed?

I thought that since there is no requirement to have two VHF COM radios there cannot be a requirement to have two 8.33 radios.
My understanding is that all required radios must be 8.33

ESTL

But personally I find flying an aircraft with just one radio to be a bit of a pain in the nether regions. ATIS for example is much easier on the second box – no frequency switching. Some airfields with more complicated frequency sequences are easier with two radios – ATIS, Approach, Tower and Ground can then all be pre-tuned

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 11 Jun 10:00
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Anders wrote:

I thought that since there is no requirement to have two VHF COM radios there cannot be a requirement to have two 8.33 radios.
My understanding is that all required radios must be 8.33

I believe any new radio fitted now must be 8.33kHz spacing…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 11 Jun 10:00
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Frank,

as I said before, the 530W is an excellent investment and I would go for it. Obviously I would keep the 430 at least as a 2nd 8.33 radio.

I am told here by my avionic shop and my CAMO that from 2017 on only 8.33 radios may be used in any airplane, as well as that even now only 8.33 radios can be installed. So from the end of this year, any non 8.33 radio would have to be deactivated (possibly used as receiver and the nav part). So I am also shopping around for a 2nd 430W, as my panel does not allow a 530W in terms of size. Otherwise,that would clearly be my preferrence.

I think it is time that you sit together with your avionics shop and talk business about how you can install the 530W together with your 430. Installing a simple nav com if you have this alternative may be a bit cheaper but I would not consider it unless financial constraints give you no choice.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Anders

Anders wrote:

Are you sure that two 8.33 radios are needed?

That´s the big question, I did quite a research on it. A far as I know, and we´re talking private non-commercial IFR in EASA-land:

• For now, one 8.33radio is ok
  • every new radio installed has to be 8.33-capable
  • It is unclear how to deal with the old 25kHz-radio after January 1st 2018, some say you can keep them for emergency communications 121.5 and use the Nav-Part as before, others say the com-part has to be technically disabled due to the possibilty of interference with many 8.33 channels if transmitting is attempted. So for the time beeing nobody knows for sure, even the EASA representant at AERO 2016 was not able to give answers to that question.
  • LBA says: After January 1st 2018 you will need two 8.33 radios, the same statement comes from Avionik Straubing.

I like to have two radios, as I have it in my aircraft, the KX155 ist a lot more outdated compared to the GNS, so didn´t like the idea of spending money on repairing this unit. So everything started and then the 530W opportunity came around the corner.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

@Mooney-Driver

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I am told here by my avionic shop and my CAMO that from 2017 on……..

See my post above, same opinion here.

As I said, a quote for installing the 530W next to the existing 430 is already requested.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

the same statement comes from Avionik Straubing

A surprise?

any non 8.33 radio would have to be deactivated (possibly used as receiver and the nav part).

If true that is a completely outrageous moneymaking scheme pushed by industry interests.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LBA says: After January 1st 2018 you will need two 8.33 radios, the same statement comes from Avionik Straubing.

Yes, but that is because

• it is to their liking
  • the FSAV is currently still in force. If time allows I would wait until September and then see if something has changed or is about to change
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message