Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

I would recommend to keep the GNS-430 as is, and buy the GNS-530W if you can get it for a good price. Although crossfill is nice, I doubt it would be worth the huge amount of money for the WAAS upgrade. Selling your GNS-430 and getting a GNC-255A is a downgrade, which doesn’t bring you a significant amount of money.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

@Jesse, do you see that it could be expensive and lot’s of work to get the papers that allow a dual GNS530W – GNS430 installation? Or has that situation improved?

ESTL

QuoteAnders wrote:

@Jesse, do you see that it could be expensive and lot’s of work to get the papers that allow a dual GNS530W – GNS430 installation? Or has that situation improved?

That´s the keypoint – Straubing gave me recommendations: Don´t keep the KX155, keep the 430 as second radio and get the 530W. I almost was on my way to purchase the 530w, but then I asked them if there are any problems with one unit waas-capable and the other non-waas-capable. They´ve overlooked that detail, and now they´re doing a research………….

I will report.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

They´ve overlooked that detail, and now they´re doing a research………….

I have never used that firm but have had various (brief) comms with them and this doesn’t surprise me at all. They are however very popular in their home country.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I´ve done some avionics upgrades with them and I absolutely would recommend them.
Perfect work, especially in the details, fair (not low) pricing, customer-orientated (eg. delivery of my aircraft after an upgrade on a public holiday, avionics technician is present in the shop , gives a briefing etc.You read it correct, on a public holiday in Germany !).
In my opinion that´s why they have their reputation, in addition to some special knowledge, eg. autopilots.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

I would simply only update the 530 regularly, and buy a trip kit every year for the 430.

Flyer59 wrote:

I would simply only update the 530 regularly, and buy a trip kit every year for the 430.

That´s the way I wanted to go……

Once again, one GPS would do the job for me – I want to keep the 430 because it´s already in the Panel, it works perfect and I need a second 8.33radio.
Of course only the 530W will drive the A/P. It´s nonsense to keep the KX155, and it`s nonsense to get rid of the perfectly working 430.
If Installation of the 530W is doable in terms of costs and regulations I will go that way; if not, I will swap the KX155 for a new GNC255.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

Timothy wrote:

For example, my partner and I have just spent hundreds of thousands on a new aircraft and new avionics, but cannot agree on whether to buy new headsets or a fitted cover.

Get both, I have never regretted either my Cambrai cover or my Bose A20 :)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

He was the guy who was told that “they know” he will reinstate the crossfill connection when out of the shop.

If he was accused of intending to comit a criminal act to his face, he should have taken that guy to the cleaners. Totally inacceptable.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Not all common mode failures are as obvious as how units are wired together:

http://www.dailytech.com/Lockheeds+F22+Raptor+Gets+Zapped+by+International+Date+Line/article6225.htm

Another common mode failure external to installed units maybe a HIRF environment.

I think I’ll drop from this thread as clearly the agenda of some posters is just to slag off EASA and those who have to work within its regulations.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message