Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

I am still weary about the cost of installing a GNS530W together with a GNS430. Previously dual GNS installation required a major modification approval. Major modifications are really expensive, several kEUR(*).

And as far as I understand, the GAMA Aviation owned AML STC that gives LPV and PRNAV for existing GNS 430W and 530W installations. The installation itself must be covered some other way. So, a GNS530W – GNS430 combo might still require a major modification approval.

( * ) – As a major modification example, before the GAMA Avionics AML STC existed, Avionik Straubing wanted 7500 EUR + VAT for doing a major modification to get LPV and PRNAV approval for a GNS 430W.

Last Edited by Anders at 10 Jun 19:08
ESTL

You are correct @Anders and that stuff posted earlier is irrelevant. The STC thread is here and it says existing installations. There are most likely other threads on this too but I am too tired to look for them now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

CD135 I have done the upgrade you are considering – a 430 to a 530W. (I couldn’t stand the screen of the 430) My flying is probably similar to yours – I have a UK IRR(R), which is not a full airways IR at all, but very helpful with being competent in IMC.

I am very pleased with my upgrade. I don’t make full use of the 530W’s capabilities, but I do use it a lot and I love the situation awareness it gives me on my route (including terrain) and it drives my autopilot very well and gives me the frequencies I need. The 530 is missing things in terms of VFR flying so I also fly with an Aera 795. The 530 is designed very strongly for IFR flying so doesn’t show VFR reporting points nor give the same strong warnings of restricted airspaces as the Aera does. Nor does the 530 show VFR plates on screen. (The GTN 750 now does…)

I’m pleased I have it. Combined with the Aera on my yoke I have a plane whose avionics exactly suits my needs, as I step up to fly more instrument approaches my plane will still be as competent.

If you have any questions, just email me or ask on here.

Howard

Last Edited by Howard at 11 Jun 07:31
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

@Howard

Howard wrote:

I have done the upgrade you are considering – a 430 to a 530W.

Thanks for your opinion ! Did you keep the 430 as second navcom or have you swapped the units?
I´m a little bit concerned about the 530W/430 combo installation, according to some posts here it sounds like a lot of € for the paperwork. Still awaiting the quote.
I wanted to keep the 430 to fulfill the requirement for the second 8,33radio; for now the way to go seems to install the 530W, take out and sell the 430 and keep the KX155 (G/S is repairable for € 250,-); chances are more than par I will have to replace the KX155 in the near future (2018).

EDFM

Hi Frank and all,

Now that we have an EASA AML STC for our IFD 540 and IFD440 systems why upgrade to an obsolete piece of avionics like a 530 W. Our IFD units bring to the cockpit the latest in technology. Our HYBRID touch allows for the use of touchscreen, pushing of buttons or twisting of knobs to run the system smoothly. The units are simple to replace existing installations of the GNS series as we use the same rack, back plate and wiring that is already present in a GNS installation. This minimises downtime. Warranty is always an issue but we give you 1 year as standard, 1 year when you create a myavidyne account and 2 more years when you sign into our Aeroflex plan.
Costs will be competitive with Straubing or Jesse they will buy back your existing units and upgrade you to an IFD to cover all your flying needs.
Steve G
Avidyne

Steveavidyne wrote:

Costs will be competitive with Straubing or Jesse they will buy back your existing units and upgrade you to an IFD to cover all your flying needs.

Ok, another way to go; but as far as I have made deals with them, they take out the old stuff, put it in their cupboard, advertise it on their webpage and wait until someone shows up with interest in buying it – no buying back!

Back to the beginning – I have already ordered a GNC-255 to fulfill the requirement of a second 8,33radio – now I can get a used 530W, which would be an improvement over the existing 430 and would do the 8,33-job as well, if it´s affordable to make the move. So I got the idea of cancelling the GNC-255 and getting the used 530W installed.
Of course IFDs and GTNs are wonderful units – they just don´t fit my needs (mainly in terms of cost) for now.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

You also need to be a bit wary of broken promises from Avidyne.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

You also need to be a bit wary of broken promises from Avidyne.

EDFM

Frank,

You will be surprised at cost to upgrade a 430 to an IFD 440 with the buy back. Dealers will move the GNS units very quickly. I can help if needed.
Please feel to email me and I can go through things with you to get the best for your money.
Sgubbins at Avidyne.com

The IFD systems bring wifi and bluetooth to the cockpit and we will also be looking to help the VFR pilot by having the Jeppesen Bottlang charts in the next software version.

CD135, I swapped out my 430 for the 530W. I was told all the ridiculous nonsense about not being able to get certified a 530 and 430 together in a TB20 because of the perceived risk of “common cause failure”, so my engineer told me that the certifying authority (CAA?) were not allowing them in the same TB20….except of course that Socata were fitting 530 and 430 together in the same plane at manufacture in the 1990s. That was under the manufacturers original authority which was different. Hmm. I gave in.

I couldn’t see any benefit in fitting Avidyne’s new kit. Touch screen in the air? – I only see that as a disadvantage in any sort of even mild turbulence. (I even have problems with my Aera and its touch screen) Does the Avidyne kit show VFR reporting points? That would be a selling point. Last I heard it doesn’t. There may be other things that I don’t know about and maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me to be designed for IFR flight and that’s fine, but no use to me.

I know the GNS kit. There are lots of training guides and YouTube videos for the GNS kit. There are loads of engineers who know the GNS kit. Other manufacturers have interfaces that they have bug-fixed years ago for the GNS kit. It seemed like a easy solution. I don’t want to be dealing with new technology issues with stuff in my plane whilst I’m flying.

Like all these things, it’s not an easy call and the market is small.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message