Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

STC holder permissions, and "only dealer installations allowed"

A kind contact has just emailed me the installation manuals for the IFD-540.

It turns out that the Avidyne man told me a non-truth:

So… anybody who can legally install it can use the STC. In the FAA world, that includes self-installation under A&P supervision, and an A&P/IA signature confirming STC conformity of the finished job.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

An AML STC doesn’t need the individual STC holder’s permission. Normally there is a blanket authorisation in there. But yes if you need the ATC holder’s permission and can’t get it, you are stuffed (technically speaking).

An AML has nothing to do with permission to use the STC, it only describes on which makes and models of aircraft the STC may be installed on.

The Garmin Permission to use the STC includes its dealers, installers, and owners and does not have an explicit restriction that the installer must be a dealer. Garmin only sells to dealers and only provides the information thru the dealer network, and will pull a dealership if the dealer sells a new unit ought right to a customer for installation into a certified aircraft without installing it. That said, nothing prevents an owner of the equipment to resell it and for the buyer to get a copy of the permission to use along with the install manual and have an appropriately rated person to install it.

Consistent with Order 8110.48 and AC 21-40, Garmin International grants permission to Garmin dealers, installers, and owners of the Garmin Model 400W I 500W Series GPSWAAS Navigation System units to use STC SA01933LA-D and the data associated with it, for the sole and express purpose of installation and approval of the installation of the Garmin Model 400W I 500W Series GPS-W AAS Navigation System, and associated interfaces to other previously approved equipment.
KUZA, United States

I’ve just seen an advert for a GTX335:

This is a new GTX335 (ADSB OUT ONLY) Transponder with built in GPS receiver
Full kit as delivered from Garmin, rack, backplate, connector.
INCLUDES STC PERMISSION CODE

I enquired what the last line is about. Apparently it is used to generate the STC permission letter. It is a one-time code, used on some Garmin website, and no additional password is needed. How totally weird! What is the incentive for Garmin to run such a process?

Administrator

The GTX 335 specifically is sold by a Garmin for A&P signed off installation, not just for installation by their dealer network. This was clearly a commercial decision driven by competitive pressure – there are a lot of non-Garmin ways to get basic compliant ADS-B Out capability that don’t involve dealer installation. However, with the temporary time window website I think Garmin intends to make A&P installation possible on one aircraft only, the initial buyer’s plane. However as per my old posts above, I don’t think they can really eliminate the resale market as their STC isn’t the only form of approved data that could be used to install the unit.

I bought a GTX 335 and went through their process, after which I felt that I needed to take a shower. I’ll go out of my way in the future to avoid doing business with Garmin. Uavionix appears to be more my kind of customer serving supplier.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jan 17:22

Peter wrote:

What is the incentive for Garmin to run such a process?

Don’t know about GTX, but for G5 you can buy the uncertified version first and then separately the STC code to make it legal on certified aircraft..

EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

Don’t know about GTX, but for G5 you can buy the uncertified version first and then separately the STC code to make it legal on certified aircraft..

How do you buy the STC code?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

show here as an option- but I was assured by the shop that it can also be ordered separately. The 2429 EUR G5 kit already has one STC code included.

Last Edited by ivark at 09 Jan 05:24
EETU, Estonia

I still wonder what is the incentive for Garmin to run this scheme.

One can understand limiting an STC to dealer-only install (as a probably illegal restrictive practice) to support its reseller pipeline, which is necessary for some 99% of certified avionics installs and without which they would not have a business. But this is just apparently pointless.

On paper-only STCs, like Pilot_DAR’s above, one can also understand it because there is no “hardware” to make money on.

Administrator

Well, the Dynon certified is identical with non-certified, plus a $2500 STC, which I understand simply is a separate line item on the invoice.
The STC for installing a Dynon D10 / D100 unit was developed by Dynon and EAA and sold as a standalone piece of paper.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

I still wonder what is the incentive for Garmin to run this scheme.

Garmin requires approved dealers to install much of their new equipment, but the permission to use the STC letter itself does not contain language that restricts the installation to dealers. It is generic and includes dealers, installers, and owners. It does not tie to any specific aircraft as most other permission to use letters do. Often the issue is that to get a copy of the permission to use, it is located on the dealer website. But once one has a copy, it is not restricted. Warranty does not have to be honored if you did not have a dealer install the equipment for new equipment that requires a dealer, but that does not affect the permission to use. I have attached copies of the permission to use I got when I had my GTX500 TXi and GTN 750 installed.

Garmin_Permission_to_use_pdf

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message