Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

@alioth does this help: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02072-00_B.pdf

Yes! I don’t know why Google didn’t find that for me…

Andreas IOM

That “Pumac” website has an interesting history

The site is configured to not support a directory listing. Only Garmin dealers get access. The great unwashed can find stuff there if one knows the exact filename…

A while ago it was misconfigured and google indexed the whole lot. One guy I know wrote a script to parse the google listing and he downloaded everything – tens of GB. Later, when I asked him for some manuals, he denied having done it, which was ludicrous… I did get a load of G500 and G1000 stuff at the time, for my manuals collection which is now over 20GB.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finners wrote:

How long do we have to wait for an EASA STC? Or are these automatic now?

No these are not automatic. It is easier to get verification for the STC owners. The drawback is that often FAA only models are included, so some aircraft which have never been FAA certified never get on the FAA AML list, and thus not on the EASA AML list either.

mh wrote:

It depends if the G5 is considered to be a “digital multi function display”, which is excluded from CS-SC401a and if the applicable ETSO/JTSO or similar is met.

Installation under CS-STAN would not be possible, for sure this is a digital multi function display. It also lacks TSO, this is why the product is available at a much lower price. So CS-STAN is not an option for this instrument.

blueline wrote:

So again the layman’s question: Am I allowed to install this in an 1220 kg EASA aircraft certfied for IFR?

No, (not yet)

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks Jesse. The Aspen stays at the top of my upgrade list then.

EGTT, The London FIR

I only have a single alternator but the G5 has a back-up battery and so does the Aspen. I’m checking the legality of removing my vacuum system now.

Another option would be to move the standby AI to the copilot’s side, keep the vacuum, install a G5 and remove the analogue altimeter and ASI.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

G5 installation in EASA land

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/24/garmin-g5-stc?_ga=1.152292593.976975284.1464975482
http://www.flyingmag.com/garmin-g5-brings-non-tso-equipment-to-legacy-aircraft

This looks like an interesting piece of kit for “cheapo” legacy planes, especially with the optional GPS antenna (whole package $2500 before installation). My plane is on the FAA STC. How complex is approval likely to be in Europe?

Tököl LHTL

Incidentally, I’ve decided to go for the non-certified Garmin G5 (for a Permit aircraft it just needs an inspector signoff). I’ll probably write a bit of a review once I’ve flown with it for a while.

Andreas IOM

Geez, ordered a G5 over 6 weeks ago and still not delivered . Victim of success .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Dublin pilot makes a valid point about alternator and electrical failures. I know a well maintained airplane flying IFR alot and they had 4 electrical failures in one year alone. Last one I was on board for was in a PA32 with a GTN 750 and integrated transponder. There is no “off” button so your running your battery down or else you flip the avionics master and turn off all avionics. Both vac failures and electrical failures are quite common.

This Garmin has an optional 4HR back up battery so it would be a good addition to any panel.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

No circuit breakers?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message